Twenty

"Do ya see him?" I asked, shifting Les around on my shoulders so he wasn't sitting on my hair. I sighed in relief once my hair wasn't trapped anymore, the pain in my scalp dissipating.

"No. You're too short. I can't see anything." Les complained.

"You know I didn't have to do this. I can put you down and then you really won't be able to see anything, shortie." I teased, knowing that would rile him up.

"Hey!" Fingers twisted in my hair and pulled sharply.

"Ow!" I cried out, pitching Les' leg to get him to let go.

"Alright! I think that's enough." David strolled up, laughing as he lifted Les from my shoulders and set him down. Les stuck his tongue out at me before running off into the crowd of people at Newsies Square.

"Great Davey. Now I gotta chase after him." I grumbled, rolling my eyes playfully at him.

David stopped me before I could take a step. "Les will be fine. I promise. You're not the only one here that will look after him."

I sighed, running my hands through my hair and then regretting it when it caught in a tangle. "Yeah, you're right," I replied, unknotting my hair and tying it away from my face.

"Aren't I always?"

I didn't respond to the obvious setup. I turn to watch the crowd, scanning for Jack and frowning when I still see nothing.

"You alright?" David waves his hand across my face.

Snapping my head back, I slapped his hand out of my face. "I'm fine. It's just everyone is getting restless waiting here. Jack should've been here by now.

"You mean that you're getting restless." David grinned.

"Oh shut it!" I shoved at his shoulder. His hand caught one of mine, holding it between us. My heart jumped a beat at the feel, the warmth of his hand holding mine.

"It's going to be alright. Jack will show up and everything will get better. I know it is." David assured me, squeezing my hand.

"I hope you're right." I glanced down, studying the way our hands fit together.

"Aren't I always?"

"Davey, you're so full of yourself."

"Are you going to lie to my face and tell me that you're not?"

"You're insufferable."

"And you're cute."

My mouth dropped open at the blatant flirting coming from David Jacobs. "And you're getting pretty damn bold."

David's grin returned and he nodded behind us. "I might have had a little help."

Glancing over my shoulder, I laugh at the sight of Albert and Race, the former waving and the latter giving us a thumbs up. Shaking my head at them, I turn back to David, reaching up to give him a hug. I prefer hugging people over the shoulders rather than under the arms, even if they are taller than me.

David's arm tightens reflectively around me. "What's the for?"

"For calling me cute." I smiled against his chest.

"Maybe I should call you cute more often." David's hands laced together at the small of my back.

I tilt my head back to look at him. "You'd only be confirming what I already know."

"Octavia, you're so insufferable." He laughed, echoing my earlier statement.

"I know." I grinned, stretching on my toes to kiss his cheek. 

My heart warmed at the look he gave me when I pulled back. Instinctively, I started to lean forward, holding my breath, when everyone erupted into cheers of excitement. Startled, I pulled back, wildly looking around to find that we weren't the center of entertainment. 

The guest of honor had finally arrived.