Six

Cool crisp air kisses my face, cooling it, as I made my way to the docks. There's a spot under the docks like I like to go to when I want to think or just get away from everything. And tonight was one of those nights.

Strolling under the bridge, I spot a couple of crates against the wall that seemed as good a place as any to sit. Climbing up on top, I leaned my back against the wall and rest my head against it. Focusing on the water, I attempt to clear all the thought swirling around in my brain. The moonlight dances over the surface that almost made the dirty Manhattan waters beautiful. The sound of the water lapping against the docks was starting to calm me when I hear footsteps approaching.

Sitting up straight, I see that the footsteps belong to none other than David Jacobs. Groaning softly, I lean back onto the wall, "Out of all the places in Manhattan, I have the pleasure of you running into the one spot where I would be".

David shuffles his feet as he slides his hands into his pockets, "I can leave if you want".

I turn my head to stare at him before hesitantly saying "No I guess you can stay. Just try not to be too annoying"

David tentatively takes a few steps forward before stopping and staring at me cautiously. Rolling my eyes, I snort out "I'm not going to bite David. Sit down" motioning to the empty space next to me on the crate.

"You followed me didn't you?" Asking a question I already know the answer to.

"Are you going to mad if I say that I did?"

David climbs up next to me and sits down copying my position. Awkward silence fills the air between us - neither of us quite knowing what to say. David clears his throat. "Um.. so you come here to think?"

I nod in response. "Yeah, it's the one spot that the boys don't know where to look for me. It's not the prettiest spot but it's peaceful out here" I admit.

I continue staring out at the water as David blurts out, "Can I ask you a question without you biting my head off?".

The corner of my mouth twitch up, "I'm sure I can suppress my feisty manner for one question". Eyebrows raised, I turn to David expectantly. I was too tired emotionally and physically to fight with him tonight.

David looks at me as if he was trying to piece together a confusing puzzle. "Why do you talk differently when it's just you and me? Even when you talk like the rest of the newsies it still sounds different."

Heaving out a deep breath I admit, "That's because I'm not from here. So I had to learn the accent and the way they speak. The first time with  you was purely accidental and I didn't see the need to keep it up after that".

Another beat of silence.

"So why do you talk like them?" David asks again.

"Because it was easier. If I wanted to be a newsie then I had to think, act, and ,yes, speak like one. If I was different then people would start asking questions and I didn't like the answers I'd have to give" I profess. Suddenly my boots looked like the most interesting thing in the world.

"Hey.." David says softly. I look up to see him staring at me without a hint of judgement-only kindness. "You don't need to worry about what I'll think. You can be comfortable telling me the truth".

"Thanks Davey," smiling softly as I playfully shove him, "But don't go all soft on me". He chuckles pushing himself back into position. His shoulder rests against mine and I can feel his body heat warming me up. It feels surprisingly... nice.

"So where are you from? If you don't mind me asking." David asks.

I hesitate before responding, "... Texas"

Turning my head I see Davey trying to hold in his laughter and he fails-- miserably. I shout over his howls of laughter, "Hey! It's not that funny!" I smack his shoulder as he calms down somewhat.

"I'm sorry," he gasps out between laughs," but out of all the places in the world," another laugh, "you somehow end up in Manhattan? All the way from Texas?"

Pulling my knees up to my chest, I wrap my arms around my legs. I prop my chin on top of my knees and grumply spit out, "Well it's not like I had much of a choice" David sobers up pretty quickly once he notices that I'm not in a cheerful mood anymore.

He apologizes, "I'm sorry. I really am. It's just that I can't imagine how a girl like you could end up all the way here. Texas is a pretty far off place from New York".

"Well," I stop and take a deep breath. "I could tell you if you like.".

My breath hitches when I raise my eyes to meet his green ones that are so similar in color to my own. His small smile expands into as grin as he says "Yeah I would like that a lot."

I smile back as I tell him how my family suddenly grew ill. Everyone thought they would get over it but they never did. One by one they passed on. My father was the first to go. Then my mother. I had a few more months with my brother before he died as well. The first part was watching all of them get sick and there was nothing I could do to fix it.

"The doctors could never quite figure out what was wrong with them or why I was the unlucky one that survived." I confessed. Thinking off all that I lost brought tears to my eyes. Fighting to keep them from falling, I gritted out bitterly "So after they died I was sent to live with my closed relative. Which happen to be my dear uncle Wiesel".

Changing positions, I cross my legs together and fold my hands in my lap. I stare at my hands messing with them as the pain of losing my family threatens to overwhelm me. David's hands reaches out to grab one of mine. I watch our hands interlace with each other and the pain fades away a little.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through with that. It's awful." He squeezes my hand in comfort.

"Yeah it was,"-another breath rattles through me-"but it gets a little easier every day. Or at least that's what I tell myself everyday."

Quietly asking, "Tell me about your brother. Was he anything like Les?".

I can't help but smile," He was just as energetic. Always managing to get in trouble. One time snuck a couple of frogs in the house because he wanted to keep them as pets. Only problem was, they got lose and we spent the rest of the day chasing them down". We both laugh at my statement. "Although, they looked nothing alike physically. Alan was a lot shorter than most boys his age. But his personality made up for it. He had blonde hair which made no sense because no one else in the family had it. He was missing a tooth too. I forgot how he knocked it out. And he had the brightest blue eyes I've ever seen. I'd like to tell him that part of the sky got trapped in his eyes." I had to stop to wipe a tear that fell from my eye.

Sniffing, I continue," I miss him everyday. Whenever I see Les running around I see a bit of my brother in him. And I'm glad that a small piece of him lives on".

We sit in silence for a moment. David taking in what I told him while I reminisce over past days. Closing my eyes, I lay my head on his shoulder, not particular caring that as of this morning I couldn't stand him. Now things seem a bit difference.

"Tell me more" David whispers gently.

Without opening my eyes I tell him more about my brother and the stupid adventures we had together even though he was 8 years younger than I was. I tell him about my mother who was the strongest and possibly the scariest woman alive when she was angry. I tell him about my father who was the most charismatic man I knew and how we would love to antagonize each other. And then I tell him about Texas and how it was growing up. 

My voice gets quieter and quieter as I speak. Sleep began to overcome me. The last thing I remember before drifting off was Davey telling me "You know, I think I'll start calling you Texas now. Sound better than Books". And so I fell asleep next to David Jacobs  still holding his hand.