Nine

*This is a heavily rewritten chapter because it was in desperate need of editing. Sorry it took so long to update. You can thank my procrastination and busy school schedule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pushing through the doors, I see David waiting outside alone. Looking around, I didn't see Les anywhere. "David, where's Les?" I ask. I hope Les was coming with us so it wasn't just us two.

"Jack said he'd take him home so we didn't have to take him with us to Brooklyn." David answers. My hope crashes with that sentence. David walks over to me, standing at my side. "So how do we get to Brooklyn?" he asks, somewhat timid.

Taking a deep breath, I steady myself. This won't be that bad. Looking up, I give him a strained smile. "You know the spot where I sell at?"

He nods at me, his brows scrunch in confusion.

"Well just on the other side of that bridge is Brooklyn and I happen to know someone who can take us to Spot. Follow me."

I lead the way to the bridge and David follows behind. A silence filled the air between us that was both comfortable but it felt as if we both had something to say. As we walked, I would sneak of few glances at him out of the corner of my eye when he wasn't paying attention. My mind drifts off to what Katherine said about him liking me. After considering it, I dismissed the idea with the shake of my head. Then I started thinking: Do I like him? I didn't think so. Sneaking another glance, he catches me this time and smiles at me. I turned my face away and pretend nothing happened. I hear his small laugh at my actions and my heart fluttered at the sound.

Frowning at myself, I push away the feeling, refusing to accept that I might be developing feelings for him. Letting people in and caring for them terrifies me. Against my better judgement, I learned to care for Crutchie, Race, and Jack but I never let myself get too close to the others. Sure, I really like and I'm friendly with the boys but I have to remind myself too often not to let them in. Not to let myself care for them too much. Caring for people and then losing them caused too much pain. I've experienced enough to know to letting David in will probably result in more heartbreak but a small part of me, the stupid part, was telling me to ignore my brain and follow what I was starting to feel.

I sigh in relief as we reach the bridge, grateful to turn my mind back to the task at hand. Hurrying across, I spot Skittery and start waving at him. He waves back once he recognizes who I am.

"Books, what ya doing on Brooklyn's side of the bridge?" Skit questions as David and I approach.

Smiling sweetly at him, "Skit I need ya ta do me a favor." I say.

He looks suspiciously between me and David, cautious at the mention of a favor. He jerks his chin up at David. "Who's the kid?"

Waving my hand, I silence David before he could speak, anxious to get to Spot quick. "This is David. He's new."

"The names Skittery but most people call me Skit." Skit sticks his hand out and they both shake hands. I tap my foot, waiting for the introductions to be over with.

"Pleasure to meet ya."

"Any friend of Books is a friend of mine." Skit turns back to me. "So what do ya need?"

"I need ya to take to me see Spot Conlon."

Skit freezes in place, fear takes over his visibly pale face, eyes widening. "What! Why?"

"That's between us and Spot. Jack sent us on business. Now can you take us or not?"

Skit clears his throat, composing himself. "Eh, I can but yous on ya own once ya there."