Eighteen

My attempt at sneaking back into the Lodge without drawing attention failed the minute I walked through the door. I was mobbed the second my foot passed over the threshold. Sounds of rushing feet was my only warning before I was swept off my feet. Literally. Arms wrapped around me, squeezing the breath out of me and making me wince in the process, and lifted me up. I would have panicked if I hadn't seen the red hair and recognized Albert as the culprit.

"Jezus. Ya can't do that. Running off like ya did. Scared the life outta me." Albert chided as he set me back on my feet, his red hair flashing as he worriedly ran his fingers through his hair.

Curly blonde hair popped up behind him as Race peaked his head around Albert to point a cigar at the agitated ginger.

"Uh, yea. Ya shoulda seen him. Al was a mess. Nearly soaked Davey because he thought Davey made you run off all sad and cryin." Race joked as he casually slung an arm around me, pulling me in for a hug. His face appeared relaxed but the fingers digging into my back, squeezing too hard, and his small sigh of relief told a different story. With one last squeeze, Race pulled away and took a step back.

"Yous was worried too!" Albert shoved a hand into Race's shoulder, causing Race to trip over his own feet to regain his balance. I swear, they were like children sometimes.

"Ise was not! I was just a little...jittery." Race huffed out indignantly, defiantly shoving the cigar in his mouth and crossing his arms over his chest, but the lie fell flat out of his mouth.

"Boys.. as much as I appreciate your concern, I'm fine. Nothing to worry ya pretty little heads over." I cut in, mouth tilting up into a smile over their concern. Albert's outright worry contrasting to Race's thinly veiled attempt of calm was starting to lift my spirits, watching Albert fuss like a mother hen.

"Yous sure?" Albert questions, not looking convinced, and I go to reassure him but Race interrupts.

"Yous think we're pretty?" Race asks excitedly.

"Yes, I think you're both gorgeous and I think it's time we go to bed." I respond, rolling my eyes and breaking out into a laugh, shooing them both to the stairs.

I was going up the first step when Albert grabs my wrist, pulling me back. Turning back, I can't help but frown at the look on his face, a mixture of curiosity, worry unease, and at the tenseness of his voice.

"Where were you?"

"I, uh.. I went to the Refuge..to see Crutchie." I replied, my voice quiet and quickly sobering.

"How--How is he?" Race asked as if he didn't want to know but forced himself to ask. Fear filled his eyes and his facade dropped. No longer was he the boy always smiling and cracking jokes. The real Race appeared. The one who felt with his whole heart and cared too much about his friends, his family. The one that would gladly put himself through hell in order to protect those he cared about. I saw just how hard it was on him to have Crutchie taken away like he was. I understood how he felt.

"No worse than you guys." I force a smile on my face but it's weak. I don't want them to worry more than they already have and telling them about how horrible the Refuge is and how hurt Crutchie is won't help any.

They didn't look convinced. Race looked downright ashamed. I could tell he was blaming himself.

"Race..." Taking a few steps to reach him, I brought my arms over his shoulders and pulled him close to comfort him. "It's not your fault you know?"

"Ise shoulda been there--" Race's voice broke and he clung to me, hands clasped tightly against my back. Face buried in my shoulder, Race let out small sobs as he held on to me.

"Hey--" I pulled back enough to bring my hands to his face, forcing him to look at me, "This is not your fault. You didn't know this was gonna happen so don't blame yourself. Both of you. You understand?"

Race tried to hide his sniffle as he mumbled a "Yea.." before harshly wiping the tears off his face with his palm.

Letting out a sigh, I grabbed Race and Albert, bringing them in for a hug. "Come here you two."

With our arms wrapped around each other and as I sandwiched between the two, my head coming to rest just below their chins, I closed my eyes and relaxed, grateful to have these two. My boys.

"I love you guys." I blurt out.

"Getting soft on us?" Albert chuckled but tightened his hold anyways. Race responded by doing the same thing.

"Maybe for a minute." I replied with a smile they couldn't see. The way we were holding on to each other was almost embarrassing if anyone walked in to see us but I didn't care. I didn't even care that we smelled. It didn't matter in the moment.

"We love ya too. Yous tha one lucky to have us." Race added, earning a laugh from Albert and I.

There was a truth to the joke. I was lucky to have them. Without the two of them and Crutchie, I'm not sure how my life in New York would have turned out. If I would actually have a life here.

After a stretch of silence, Albert let out a breath he had been holding in and whispered "I just didn't want to lose you too."

"You won't. I promise."

We're not losing anyone else. Not if I had anything to say about it. I'll do anything to get Crutchie back and make Snyder pay. By the time I'm done with him, Snyder is going to regret the day he set foot in New York.