two

Over the course of a month, the seventh period became my favorite period of the day. I didn't have to do anything but walk around, if I wanted to.

In fact, these last couple of days I had been doing just that, but today I decided to stay downstairs in my office and relax. I finished work and just took the time to think. Kellin and I had multiple interactions, but they were always with other people. Kevin and he hit it off well, though, so he would venture over to him anytime we had our meetings or he saw us in the hall afterward.

Anytime Kellin would come over, though, he would only look at me and smile. I'd smile back, but our conversations were anything but thriving. We didn't engage much or even try to and that kind of put me off. I wanted to restart with Kellin, but, at the same time, I almost felt like I couldn't. It was like every time we did, we were held back by something and it was frustrating. All I wanted to do was clear the air.

"I knew I'd find you down here," I heard a voice call from my doorway. My head shot up and I looked at them with wide eyes, only to find it was Kellin — the man who had been occupying my thoughts for the last twenty minutes. I groaned.

"Did I bother you already?" He chuckled half-heartedly as he sat down in front of me.

"No, you didn't. What are you doing down here?"

"I wanted to apologize for how I've been acting. I've been cold to you,"

"Yeah, why?" I wondered. He leaned back and crossed one leg over the other.

"I, uh, can't help to think about the past." Kellin looked at me with a confident smile, but I furrowed my eyebrows in reaction.

"The past? Yeah, it sucked how it ended, but I'm not mad at you for it. I'm over it,"

"Are you over me?" Kellin interjected.

"Excuse me?" I was taken aback. What was his goal here?

"Are you over me, Vic? Have you lost feelings for me?"

"Kellin, what are you trying to do?" I asked. I squinted at him and stood up. I didn't quite like where this was going, but I didn't do anything to stop him. I just became defensive and went along with what he was saying. He looked comfortable enough, and he didn't seem like he wanted to press my buttons; it seemed as though he was just curious — as he normally was.

"I just wanted to know... I'm sorry if I offended you." He stood up and walked to the backside of my desk where I stood. He got close to me and put his hand on my chest. It sunk in a bit, but rose gently and fell in the same manner despite how fast my heart was beating.

"T-that's okay," I whispered to him. Kellin's hand remained on my chest as he looked at it and played with the fabric.

"I'll see you at the game tonight. Kevin told me you're working security," I nodded. I don't think I had the breath to say much else. It was funny: no matter what Kellin did, the simplest things made me feel nervous around him.