sixteen

“Coming to Ed’s party tomorrow?” asked Gladstone as they left school on Friday. Jared shrugged.

    “I guess. Maybe. His last one was kinda shit.”

     Gladstone waggled his eyebrows.

    “Willa’s gonna be there.”

    “Don’t care,” ground out Jared, already thinking through transport plans. Maybe Cosmo could drive him there… Although having said that, getting in a car with Cosmo was like putting your life in the hands of a three-year-old.

    “Fair enough,” Gladstone was saying. “Latsis invited the new kid.”

     Jared raised his eyebrows.

    “Isa- Hanly?”

    “Yup. Think he’s got plans to try and seduce the poor guy.”

     Jared snorted. Isaac might seem naive, but the idea of him being seduced was beyond ridiculous. Latsis wouldn’t stand a chance. He let out a chuckle without even realising, imagining Isaac trying to let Ari down gently with kind words and that bewildered expression he got whenever he was confused.

     “Gotta go mate, that’s my bus,” said Gladstone suddenly, setting off at a panicked run as his bus moved slowly away from the school bus stop. “HOLD ON!” he yelled, and miraculously managed to catch up in time to scramble on. Jared watched in mild amusement as the bus driver fixed Gladstone with a venomous glare before driving away.

     “Want a ride?” came a voice next to him, and he turned to see Isaac standing there, hands in pockets. He raised an eyebrow and Isaac shrugged, smirking slightly. “Saw you walking yesterday. From my car window.”

    “God, you’re annoying,” Jared muttered, and then looked up at the sky. Clouds were gathering, ominously dark, the air humid as before a storm. “Okay, fine.”

     Isaac shot him an obnoxious grin, twirling his car keys on his finger.

    “This way!” he sing-songed, and Jared followed him sulkily to the student car park. Isaac pointed out a red Ford Fiesta with a dent on the back. 

    “Isaac,” said Jared, staring at the dent. “Explain. Can you drive.”

    Isaac actually laughed.

    “Yeah, sure I can. Just one time I reversed into my mam’s car.” He smiled again, as if revelling in Jared’s horrified face, and then relented with a sigh. “Don’t worry, no-one was hurt. I just forgot it was in the drive. Come on, JJ!”

    He was in the car with the door snapped shut before Jared had a chance to protest.

    “My middle name doesn’t even start with a J,” he grumbled as he slipped into the passenger seat. Isaac shrugged, turning the key in the ignition.

    “Sure. Just one J then. That works too. J.

     But Jared had other things to deal with now, because a song had started playing as Isaac reversed out of the parking space.

    “Isaac,” he said grimly over the upbeat guitar chords. “Please tell me this isn’t James Blunt.”

     Isaac just reached over and turned the volume up.

    “Oh my God. What are you, a middle-aged cat lady?!

     “I’ll be your ma-a-a-a-an,” sang Isaac loudly, grinning and tapping the steering wheel like a loon.

    Jared smothered a smile.

    “You have no dignity,” he told Isaac as they hit the main road.