fifty-nine

a/n PLS DONT COME AFTER ME WITH PITCHFORKS OK IM SORRY IM SORRY. I HAVE A SIMILAR FEELING TO IF I WAS ABOUT TO BURST A LITTLE KID'S BALLOON??? IS EVERYONE READY. OKAY. HERE WE GO.

ps. chap 2 has had a minor change. it now says '3 months later' - just needed to fix a little discrepancy i hadnt noticed.

     It was normal though, wasn't it, to appreciate other guys' physique. For, you know, comparison reasons. Jared felt the panic subside somewhat, the split-second's clarity giving over to comfortable fogginess again. It felt like he'd slapped tape safely over a crack in Pandora's box; like he'd narrowly avoided some sort of disaster, a monster that only had power when you looked at it. When you thought about it.

     And so he looked away, splashed Cosmo in the face. Isaac dived into the pool but Jared didn't see him because he was not looking.

     Half an hour or so after that they went back inside.

------------o------------

     The next day was Christmas day, and Jared was woken much earlier than he'd've like to have been by Cosmo and Isaac, who seemed to have reverted to excited six-year-olds.

    "Jared. Jared. Jared."

     Cosmo was shaking him insistently, ignoring the half-hearted sleepy slaps Jared was aiming at his face.

    "C'mon Scrooge," Isaac said fondly, arms crossed over a too-big sweater. Jared groaned and threw a pillow at his face.

    "It's Christmas," stated Cosmo, helpful as always, and then proceeded to pull Jared's duvet away until he gave up and followed them downstairs to the living room.

     Dad and Renee were still in bed and would likely remain so until about noon, but Dad'd given Jared and Cosmo their presents last night anyway- two matching white envelopes with cheques in them. All the gifts under the tree were for Renee and Dad from each other, hand-picked by their PAs.

     But now Cosmo was grinning and pulling a package from his dressing gown pocket. Jared's eyes narrowed.

    "Dude, we never do presents. I haven't got you anything."

     Cosmo just shrugged, smirking.

    "Well I'm obviously the better person then, baby bro."

     He handed the present over (it was wrapped in a way that looked like it'd got into a fight with some sellotape and tissue paper, then been mauled by a particularly savage bear) and Jared opened it cautiously. Isaac shuffled up the sofa to look over his shoulder and see what it was, laughing as the paper came off to reveal a stack of ABBA cds.

    "Educate yourself," said Cosmo. Jared raised an eyebrow.

    "Wow, thanks, Cos, you seem to have got me the thing you've been wanting for yourself! Coincidences, hey?"

     Cosmo grinned.

    "Yeah, I mean, if you wanna let me borrow them sometime or like, all the time, then I guess that'd be okay by me."

    "Woah Cos you are such a martyr."

    "I know." He threw himself down on the sofa and pointed at Isaac. "Your turn."

    Isaac turned to Jared smirking.

    "Isaac no," whined Jared. "Why are you making me feel bad?"