sixty-one

a/n - sorry for the wait!! first of three (quite short) updates :)

    Willa rang Isaac soon after he and Jared got back from France, because Jared’s birthday was on the 14th of January and she had no idea what to get him.

    “I need your help,” she told Isaac as soon as he picked up, then, “Pleease.”

     Isaac chuckled.

    “Ok? What with?”

    “I need you to come shopping with me and help find Jer a birthday present.”

     Another sheepish chuckle.

    “I’m not sure I’d be that helpful,” he said, but she just rolled her eyes.

    “Are you free now?”

------------o------------

     She gave him her address and got ready quickly, tugging a brush through her hair and tying it up into a ponytail. Her older sister Cara was sitting on the stairs scrolling through instagram as she hurried down.

    “Meeting your boyfriend?” asked Cara, glancing up.

    “No. Boyfriend’s best friend. He’s gonna help me find a birthday present.”

     Cara laughed fondly.

    “It’s really not a big deal Wil. You haven’t been together that long- he’s probably not even expecting anything.”

    “That’s why it’s so hard,” Willa grumbled, shoving her white vans on. “I can’t get him anything really nice or thoughtful cos that’d be weird, but it still has to be nice and thoughtful, like-”

     She broke off when she realised Cara was full-on laughing at her, and glared.

    “You suck. Can I borrow your coat?”

    “No.”

    “I’m borrowing it.”

     She pulled it on as Cara rolled her eyes and returned to her phone. She’d just realised she’d left her purse upstairs when the doorbell rang and she answered it to find Isaac there with his almost-curly hair as messy as usual, like he’d just rolled out of bed. He beamed at her, slightly breathless.

    “There was nowhere to park so I had to leave my car in the middle of the road. Are you ready?”

     “I have to get my purse,” she said, and he nodded, already halfway back down the path to her door.

    “I’ll drive round the block!” he called, smiling again as he disappeared behind the hedge. Willa turned and hurried up the stairs.

    “He’s cute,” remarked Cara as Willa ran past her. Willa rolled her eyes.