sixty-six

Jared came out of the Spanish exam feeling pretty pleased with himself, and looked round for Isaac because the stuff Isaac had forced him into revising yesterday had come up and he knew Isaac would be dying to crow.

     No sign of the other boy, though. Instead Gladstone approached, groaning loudly.

    "Well that was fucking awful. My predictions are going to go down so many grades it's not even funny. All I could remember was 'queso'."

     Jared rolled his eyes.

    "You'll be fine," he said, eyes still skimming round for Isaac. Gladstone continued,

    "Haven't seen you around much lately, Spencer. You doing anything for your birthday? Ah, Spence, tell you what, let's hit the town and celebrate your real ID! I'll get some of the guys together and we can go out Saturday night." He grinned widely, slapping Jared on the shoulder. "It's gonna be fucking manic, birthday boy."

    "Actually I-" began Jared and then trailed off, because maybe it'd be weird if he didn't go out on his eighteenth. "Yeah, sure. Whatever."

     His phone buzzed with a text from Willa saying she was outside, because they'd agreed to spend the afternoon together.

    "Gotta go Gladstone, see you," he said absently, and left after one final (futile) glance round for Isaac.

------------o------------

    "Isaac was being super cagey about this surprise," Jared mentioned to Willa as they sat in Jared's kitchen, Willa on one of the barstools with a mug of black coffee and Jared with a tea. Willa laughed.

    "Should hope so. I've sworn him to absolute secrecy." She paused. "To be honest we're not entirely sure you're gonna like it but we saw the poster and it just looked really fucking cool. And we rang Cosmo to check he thought you'd be okay with it and he said yes so-"

     She stopped herself, and grinned. His eyebrows furrowed.

    "I- why would Cosmo have to say anything?"

    "No reason," chirped Willa. 

"Can't you just tell me?" Jared entreated, but she only laughed.