Chapter 6

I was stunned and quiet in the bus. Our journey continued, but I was not as enthusiastic as I was before. I felt a bit cold and wrapped my coat around me. I sensed it was because of the area we were. I looked around, and my friends were quiet too. Only Dan was still himself, watching a movie on his tablet and humming a tune. Now and then, he would break into a laugh which obviously annoyed everyone else. I told Mrs Sana, who brushed it off saying it probably was a joke. So, none of us spoke about it again. Although we didn't speak it our loud, we thought of it in our minds.

What if something was really going on? I had seen various movies, like this and it always ends up one way - bad. But ours couldn't be. Right? I scolded myself. Jams, you have watched too many horror movies.

The bus continued driving through the rickety alley. It was a very narrow road, with bumps here and there. The sun had begun to set, giving the bus a glow-like appearance. The sun pierced directly at me, and I had to draw the blinds down. Mrs Sana told us that we were close by and should be patient a while.

I noticed that since we left that ominous town, the roads had been bad. Very bad. Muy malo, like my Spanish teacher used to say. Our bus would fall into a ditch now and then, talk less of the very narrow roads we had to pass through. The environment were trees, lots of them. Some were swaying back and forth, lowering a bit as if they were greeting us. One of the trees was scary looking, with a weird shape. I checked my phone but no signal. Since we began riding into the narrow paths, Mariyam started complaining of a severe headache. I told her to take her pills, and to rest when we get there. I suspected it was because she was nervous, and the long journey.

"We're here. Come out one by one. Don't pack your luggage yet. After arranging everything, you can take your luggage." Mr Cameron announced and we trooped one after the other and followed them into the camping site. My legs were sore, and I stretched myself as I came down the bus. Alhamdulillah we had arrived safe and sound, I prayed.

*****

I was in awe looking at the camp. It was beautiful. I didn't know why, but I felt shivers run down my spine as I looked at it. I had imagined tents set up, or that we would set them up. That was what camping was about right? But well, it seemed I was very wrong. Although I had heard of campers staying in a house also. I thought it was more easier and safer. Safe from animals or any wildlife creatures lurking in the forest. Because on the other side of the house were trees. From where I stood, I could see a forest. It probably stretched on and on. I overheard Graham explaining to some group of students that they chose a house because of the location. During this weather, tents would not be great due to the storms and heavy rains. Also, the house was already there. It belonged to some rich businessman ages ago. No wonder it had a mysterious look to it. Like it was straight out of a 1950s movie. There was no one taking care of it, so the last living heir willed it out to charity. It was now used for camping purposes or by tourists. They just had to do a few repairs and that was it.

I pushed a large black gate and entered the camp. The camp was situated in the middle of nowhere - practically a forest. There was a large house in the centre of the camp, designed in a beige and brown colour. I thought it was incredible, and mysterious at the same time. It was obvious that the house was re-coloured recently. I walked inside, to a huge sitting room. There were brown furniture and a small cream centre table in the middle. Walking straight, I entered a dining section with a large dining table. A kitchen was in another section, close to the dining table. The rooms were located on another part of the house, after walking out of the sitting room and following a small hallway. The rooms were divided into four. Two for the girls and two for the boys. The girls' room was overlooking that of the boys. In each room, there were six bunk beds. Wide and spacious, with large windows. Large bathrooms were designed inside the rooms. I walked to one of the windows, and admired the scenery. There were green trees, and a large river. It seemed like it went on and on, with no end. I was about to leave the room, when I noticed Mariyam, standing by the river, as if she wanted to go inside. I shook my head, giggling a little. This girl, she said she had a headache. Why was she outside now? Well maybe it had gone. I shrugged. I didn't think it meant something then.