Chapter 34

Betrayal comes in my forms. It might be from a family member, a spouse or even a friend. The only thing that always sticks is the feeling. The deep wound that plunges deep into the heart. You never become the same again. That was what happened that day. It was a very cloudy day. The sky was grey with white clouds. It didn't look like it was going to rain, but the weather was very cold.

That day, everything changed.

We were dragged outside to the back of the cabin. Our clothes were dirty, torn and smelly. I never felt so low in my whole life. I thought it was over. We were tied together - the three of us. And forced to sit on a white cloth spread on the bare ground. Around us were candles with plastic lids to cover them from blowing out. A red substance was kept a bit far from where we sat.
"What's gonna happen to us?" Hanna asked.

"I don't know. But we need to be strong." I answered. I had been praying since we were tied up. InshaAllah we would get out of this.

"Our lives were so normal..." Hanna said amidst tears, and murmured some inaudible words.

Ibraheem cleared his dry throat, "Jameela, I want to tell you something before whatever they are going to us. I..."

I cut him, "Shhh. Ibraheem now isn't the time. Try thinking of a escape route." We needed to be vigilant and think of a way out.

"No. I really need to tell you..." Just then, the man and his son Jamie walked in. They were dressed in a long red and black throbe. "The ceremony begins! But befor then, I have a surprise fo ya!" His booming laugh filled the air. This man was sick, I thought. He was deranged, mental. He should be locked up to never see the light of day again. "Jamie, come with him!" Him? Who was that? I wondered. Probably their partner-in-cannibalism. Few seconds later, I heard sounds of leaves rustling. A loud gasp escaped Hanna followed by a curse from Ibraheem. I had heard him curse a few times before. What could make them react like that? A demonic attire Jamie was wearing? My heart skipled a beat as I thought of the worst. Maybe Jamie and the other person brought a gun, or something that they would kill us off with. I was facing the direct opposite of where the footsteps came, so I couldn't see a thing. I tried to turn my head but I couldn't. We were tied too close together for any movement from any of us. Hanna whispered,"oh my God. Thank God," then shouted hysterically, "get us out of here. Jamie, help. We were kidnapped."

I strained myself further. What was she saying? Jamie? That horrible boy is exactly like his father from what I gathered. Why then was she trying to ask for his help? "Hanna, what the hell is wrong with you? He wouldn't do anything to help us, hell even to see us smile." I hush-whispered at her.

Ibraheem finally spoke, "son of a bitch! How dare you? Oh. Now I get it. I get everything. It was you all along." I felt dumb and clueless having no idea what was going on.

Hanna continued, "Oh please Ibraheem. He's here for us obviously."

"You think?" I could hear the disgust in Ibraheems' voice. "Traitor. Now I get everything. I never trusted you." He said in a low voice more to himself.

I heard footsteps approaching us. I waited to see who it was. And I did. Only I wished I hadn't. "Welcome to deathland. As I like to call it." The three trio laughed wholeheartedly. The shock, disdain, fear all took turns flashing through me. I couldn't believe my eyes. It can't be, it can't be. I kept repeating over and over again. Ya Allah. Ya Allah. Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un. My lips were shaking as I managed to let out an inaudible sound. "You? What?"

Standing in front of me was someone I trusted, believed in. Thought was my friend. Jamie. I was too stunned to speak for a while. Tears streamed down my face. When I was finally able to speak, one word came out. "Why"