Chapter 16-Dawnery

Word Count: 2077

Dawn Turner

I have never regretted being born as much as I do right now.

If I had the choice to either relive my life or die completely, I would gladly jump in front of a train.

I'm ready to go.

Any type of death seemed good to me in my head except the gruesome type of death I was about to experience in just a few seconds.

I was crouched under the table and I was regretting my life choices, regretting the day I went to the convenience store, and regretting the day I first met Alexander.

This is not the way I expected my life to end.

Everything was quiet around me but so loud at the same time. The silence has never felt so deafening before.

"Come out come out wherever you are, Rapunzel." His malicious voice echoed throughout the dark and empty hallway of my house. Something about his voice left me frozen in place as if I was stuck in a trance that I couldn't get out of. It took me a minute to shake off the agonizing feeling I was experience and I brought my knees closer to my chest. It took everything in me not to burst out crying so I brought my face down to my knees and sobbed as quietly as I could.

I hoped that crying would take away some of the pain but it was in vain.

I forced back the bile that was threatening to come out. My lungs felt like they were about to collapse because of how fast I was breathing but the sound of glass shattering beside me made my heart stop.

I looked around quietly, making sure not to let out any noise. He was nowhere in sight. I quickly backed away further under the table and clenched my first before he could come back.

I knew he could hear my heart beating.

I knew he could hear my thoughts as well.

Most importantly, I knew he knew exactly where I was but toying with me before striking seemed like a more fun option for him.

My heart was beating in my throat. Tears shimmered in my eyes as they darted back and forth between the kitchen door and the entrance to the living room until they landed on the shards of glass on the floor next to me. I was starting to wonder if it would be easier to just grab one of the broken pieces scattered on the floor and ending all of this myself.

It would be better than dying in his hands.

I reached out for one piece, praying to God he wouldn't be able to see my hand from underneath the table. With caution, I made sure to grab a sharp piece. Fear pressed against my skin, sending goose bumps along my arm when I heard the sound of his footsteps coming closer to me again.

The closer they got, the faster my heart was beating.

"Dawn." His voice was taunting, it sent chills all over my body. "Come on, I just want to play with you." His wicked laugh made me shut my eyes tightly to stop the tears from spilling out.

The kitchen drawers opened and my breath hitched in my throat. That drawer had all the kitchen utensils I owned...including my knives.

I looked down at the sharp piece of glass in my hand, taking a deep breath. You can do it Dawn. Just a little scratch and it will all be over.

A blast of cold air sent shivers down my hand. If I'm going to surely die tonight, I'm not giving him the satisfaction of killing me himself.

Even in death, I will win.