Chapter 20 - Part 1

Kate opened her eyes when she heard the soft knocks on the door. She glanced toward the window and groaned. It was still dark outside.

She got out of bed and groggily opened the door, squinting at the bright lights in the hallway. Tyler stepped directly in front of her and shielded her from the light.

"Get dressed. We're having a picnic."

She forced her eyes open and saw a refreshed and excited Tyler. "Oh, Ty, there's one thing you should know about me; I hate waking up early. What time is it anyway?"

"Please? I'll get it set up while you wash up. Wait for me in the house. I don't want you walking out alone in the dark."

Nodding her head grumpily, she turned back toward her bed.

"Don't go back to sleep."

Her shoulders slumped. "Five minutes."

Tyler laughed. He stepped into the room, hooked his arm around her waist, and dragged her into the bathroom. "Don't sleep in the tub. Get ready."

"Ugh. Fine."

"If I have a curse on my mood when the sun sets, you have one before the sun rises."

That brought about a sigh and a smile.

"Don't fall asleep standing."

She glowered at him, and he grinned before scooting out of her room. She patted her hands against her cheeks before splashing some cold water onto her face. She sighed again as she stretched her muscles. She would love to soak in the tub for a while, but she was certain she would fall asleep if she did.

Instead, she used the standing shower and was out in less than ten minutes.

Why couldn't they have a picnic later in the afternoon?

It was so early.

Thinking that it would be cold outside, she slipped on her jeans and wore a cardigan over her tank top.

She was fully awake by the time she plodded down the stairs, but was still peevish about having to wake up so early. Since Tyler wasn't in the living room, she flopped onto the couch and stretched out, thinking she could rest her eyes for a few minutes.

"Sleeping beauty, ready for breakfast?" Tyler asked just as she closed her eyes.

"Yes, but only because I think you'll drag me out even if I say no." She sat upright and ran her hands through her still damp hair. "You're really an early riser."

Tyler walked over to the couch and took her hand, pulling her up. "The sunrise is beautiful here, and with the colors of the trees, it'll be stunning."

His words painted a picture in her mind and she smiled. "All right." She leaned against his arm as they strolled over to the door.

"Don't fall asleep."

She widened her eyes and blinked at him. "I'm up, I promise."

Tyler pushed the door open, and she froze.

"Ty ..."

The way out to the edge of the lake was lined with tea candles. Around each candle was a transparent glass cylinder to prevent the breeze from blowing out the light. The candlelight cast a warm yellow glow in the darkness, lighting up a dazzling smile and warming up her heart.

He leaned down and kissed her hair. "Shall we?"

She inched closer toward him. "You must've woken up quite early to prepare this."