Chapter 8 - Part 1

Tyler and Kate were already waiting in her house when the team arrived to install the system. Kate welcomed his team and asked them if they wanted tea or coffee.

He didn't like how she was troubling herself to serve his staff, but she'd always seemed concerned about doing what was right. He guessed being a good host was important to her.

While she prepared tea and coffee, the men got to work. He strolled around the house, watching them.

"Ty," Kate called to him, gesturing for him to join her on the couch while she set the cups of freshly brewed coffee and tea on the coffee table.

"Stop staring at them; you're making them nervous," she said softly, handing him a cup of coffee.

He took another glance at the men. "I'm making sure they're installing it right," he said and sat beside her.

"They've done this more than once, right? I'm sure they'll install it right. Besides, there's something I need to discuss with you."

"What is it?"

She switched on the laptop on the coffee table. "I need to head down to the bed and breakfast I'm working on. It's located in a small town in North Dakota. One of the conditions of the will states that you'll have to come along." She double-clicked on the calendar application. "I know it's troublesome, but I really have to make the trip."

"Okay."

Turning the laptop toward him, she asked, "When are you free?"

"Anytime."

A corner of Kate's lips turned up. She leaned back against the couch and looked at him. "What exactly do you do at work? You seem pretty free."

"I design and improve the system, and I make sure that everything is running smoothly in the company."

"You designed the system? I thought your parents came up with it."

Nodding, he continued. "They did, but I improved and changed some of the things. Technology changes; our security system can do much more now."

"So, you're kind of a computer geek?"

He smiled. "I'm good at developing software and equipment that keeps people safe."

"So you're a geek." Kate flashed him a wide grin. "Kidding. Then, Mr. Hayes, do you actually know how to fix the equipment? Or were you just poking your nose around, pretending to know what's going on."

"I fixed up the system at the mansion, didn't I?"

"True." Her head bobbed up and down. "How do you make sure that everything is running smoothly when you're not in the office?"

"I have an assistant. Don't you?"

Kate shook her head. "Never found the need for one. Maybe because I'm actually working in the office most of the time."

"You shouldn't be rude to someone who's trying to make your house safe."

"Someone once told me that life will be tiring if you have to do everything you should."

He laughed.

Kate grinned and turned back to her computer. "All right, then. Give me your details. I'll book the flights and all."

"Why don't you give me yours? I'll settle it."

"No, I've got it."

He opened his mouth to argue, but changed his mind. Respect.

Kate smiled when she saw his reaction. "It's my business trip. I don't want to trouble you."

"Okay." He nodded. "But do it later. Since we're here, you can play the piano while we wait for the system to be up," he said.

"I don't like playing when there are others around."

"You played for me." He saw her scowling, but he knew exactly how to get her to play. "If you don't want to play, then I'll just go back to watching them work."

"Are you blackmailing me?" Kate narrowed her eyes with feigned anger. "What makes you think I'll care?"

He shrugged and stood, turning toward the men who were installing the security system. Kate sighed and stood also.

"All right," she said, trotting to the piano. She sat on the right side of the bench, lifted the cover, and waited for him to join her.

_________________________________________________________

New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!