O N E

Alivia's POV

Freshman year, regardless if it is Highschool or College freshman year scares the crap out of anyone. It's even scarier when you are expected to be the star athlete. The next Sue Bird they called me. Pressure can make or break a basketball player. It eats at you from the inside out. You may not be able to see the effect it has on you but everyone else does. When I'm on that court though there is no such thing as pressure, paparazzi, or popularity. Just me, the basketball, the guard in front of me, and my final destination the hoop. Tonight was supposed to be the best night in Bruins' Basketball history. Tonight was supposed to be the night that everyone learned the name, Alivia Rooney.

I sighed as my best friend Camila and I stepped out of my small Subaru. Before I even stepped into the arena I could hear the roar of the fans.

"We got this," Mili spoke as we walked into the arena. Mili was a nickname I gave her when we were kids. I know one day she'll be a millionaire.

"I sure hope so," I said as I placed my beats on my ears.

Cardi B blasted through my headphones as we walked to the locker room. Cameras flashed in our faces as we strolled past multiple photographers and journalists. As we stepped into the locker room I took my Beats off because we already music blasting through the speakers. As I walked to my lockers I got pats on the back and good luck from my teammates. I hung my small backpack on the hook of my locker before pulling off my shirt to change into my uniform. I changed into my uniform and pulled my shooter's sleeve onto my right arm. I was slipping on my knee compression sleeve when Coach Cori waltzed over to me and sat down.

"You ready for tonight?" She asked as pulled my socks on.

"I hope so," I spoke with no emotion.

"You'll do great tonight. Just do what you do in practice." She patted my shoulder before walking away.

I sighed and laced up my blue, gold, and white hyperdunks that UCLA provides. I sat in my locker while everyone got hyped up. Tonight we are playing our rivals the USC Lady Trojans. Great competition for the first game of the season.

"Alright, ladies let's go warm up," Coached yelled as I grabbed my long sleeve and slipped it over my jersey.

We jogged out of the locker room and into the arena. The arena was lit up and the fans roared. I sighed as a younger girl passed me a basketball. I jogged around bouncing the ball between my legs before stopping at the 3 point line. I jumped and shot watching the ball fall through the rim with a swish. Fans yelled as I continued to show off. Mili and I laughed as we danced along to Travis Scott's Butterfly Effect. After working on shooting, handling, and layups Coach called us up to the bench. She sat us down before she started talking.

"Alright, as you already know this is a big game. Not only is this game the first of the season but we are also playing the Trojans. Let's add to that winning streak. Our starting forward tonight is Onyenwere. Our other forward is Drummer. Our starting center is Sanchez. Our starting shooting guard is Burke, and our starting point guard is Rooney." She read off of her clipboard.

After talking with the girls our cheerleaders ran up and made a tunnel for us to run through. The announcer started to announce our starting lineup.

"And the starting point guard for the Lady Bruins please welcome the new face of Bruins' basketball number 5 Alivia Rooney." The announcer called as I pulled off my long sleeve to reveal my favorite number 5.

I ran out on to the court and got ready for the tip. At that moment I don't know what happened. I got super nervous and felt like I was going to pass out. The fans calls went quiet as my thought took over. You are not the great basketball player everyone says you are. Stop trying to be great. You are still that little-orphaned kid. You can't do it. All I could do at that moment was run. I turned and ran off the court. I heard people gasp as I ran to the locker room. I bust through the door of the locker room and sat down in my locker. I sat and cried into my hands thinking about what I just did. I probably just ruined my whole career.

"Hey, rook." I heard a deep voice say making my head snap up.

"What do you want?" I asked wiping away tears as the tall lightskin guy walked closer to me.

"Came to check on you. That was a pretty solid break down." He said as he sat down on the bench that was by my locker.

"Why do you care? We don't even know each other." I asked looking into his piercing green eyes.

"Maybe we should get to know each other then. I'm Lonzo, most of my friends call me Zo though." He stuck out his hand for me to shake.

"Alivia Rooney." I shook his huge hand.

"I've heard of you. You're that orphan basketball player that got famous on Instagram and somehow got her best friend and herself scholarships to UCLA." He smirked as he spoke. I will admit he is good looking.

"That's basically me in a nutshell," I spoke nodding my head.

"So what happened out there?" He asked playing with his hair.

"I don't know I guess I just kinda freaked out. I've never had a problem with playing in front of people." I shrugged knowing that Coach was going to kill me.

"First game jitters, they happen to everyone. Here's the thing all you have to do is stand up. Walk out onto that court and play like you normally do. You got this I've seen you play. You're pretty damn good." He said as he stood me up and walked me to the door.

"Thanks Zo." I smiled as we walked to the arena.

"Go get em Liv." He smiled as he nudged me out onto the court.

***

"Mili!" I yelled as she passed me the ball.

I bounced it between my legs a crossed the girl in front of me before shooting a perfect three. The moment the ball swished the buzzer went off. I jumped into Mili's arms as we celebrated our win.

"Ladies and gentlemen despite her pregame meltdown tonight was a perfect night for freshman Alivia Rooney. The new star finished with a triple-double of 40 points, 12 rebounds, and 11 assists." The announcer recapped my first game in the limelight.