thirty-eight

Isabella

I went home two weeks after being in the hospital and the wrap around my head was now just a bandage. I was lucky that the bullet didn't hit my brain.

I still felt the occasional pain surrounding my head. It hurt to lay on the left side. Loud noises made me jolt every now and then. I stayed in bed for the most part since I was taking pain pills that made me dizzy. I would watch TV, but then go to sleep because the flashing lights from it hurt.

Arion was still a prick but more gentle if that was possible. He wouldn't barge into my room and just open the door slowly before plopping down on my couch. He listened when I told him to fetch me something, and always asked if I was okay if I made a noise. Haro would do the same.

DeMar stayed with me for the most part in my bed, but would leave to go to school and practice or the gym. They won the state championship, and I hated that I couldn't go. However, Arion streamed it on his phone so luckily I was able to watch it online.

I missed Reggie. We went to funeral and it was painful watching my brother go. It was the only time I had went outside and it sucked. It was just like my moms and I hated it. Reggie was my protector since day one. He was my brother.

A knock arose from the door and DeMar entered slowly. He gave me a soft smile and I smiled back. "Hey."

"Hey," I said. He pecked my lips and I wrapped my arms around him tighter. I missed his warmth while he was at school.

He chuckles, "Someone's excited."

"I missed you," I said as he took off his shoes and laid down next to me. He moves his backpack towards the end of my bed and gives me a goofy smile. Marks of his fingernails were still evident on his face and his eyes were droopy with a purple outline. He was still struggling with a lot of things, and I wish he would tell me what was going on with him.

"I missed you more," he says. He opens his bag and pulls out a green folder that was on the verge of tearing. "And this is your classwork and homework that you missed." My smile immediately disappeared. The folder was so thick that I knew there was no way I was going to be able to get it all done. "But, being the bestest boyfriend I am, I did about half of it only because it was the same stuff as mine. As for the other work, I don't know any of that stuff." He shrugs but then gives me an encouraging smile.

He shows me the work he's done and then the work he didn't, and I still had a lot of work to do. "Why didn't you turn it in?"

"Really? Not even a thank you?" He frowns. I chuckle and peck his lips multiple times thanking him.

"I don't deserve you," I say.

He smiles, "I didn't turn them in because it was like Monday which was a couple days after you woke up. The teachers would have been like, 'She did this while she was dead? No way!'"

His impersonation made me laugh hard and I immediately regretted it afterward. DeMar laughed at me but then comforted me, "Maybe you can get Malcolm to do it since he's a genius."

The door opens and Arion pops his head in, "I thought I heard you two."

"What do you want?" I say. I sounded rude and it made his face fall. He had become more sensitive in the last few days and I didn't know why.

"Damn, Isabella, I was going to tell you some good news," he says and sits on the edge of my bed staring at us two.

"What is it?"

"I'm your brother now!" He says and hands me a legal document that has his name on it saying he's been adopted by my father.

I smile and open my arms for a hug from him. He cheeses and gives me a hug, "It's official, you're my annoying brother now."