thirty-six

Hector grunts as he reaches out for his phone. He squints his eyes as he reads 1:12am. He decides to get up and make sure the kids were back from Reggie's party at the beach.

He slides his bare feet into his cheap slides and makes his way to Ella's room, he notices that the door was open and Ella never slept with her door open. Letting out a sigh, he walks to Haro's room. Again he is met with no one, not even Arion.

He shuffles for his phone in his pocket and he calls Haro. Haro declines the call and Hector calls again but is met with the same response. Hector sighs and texts him:

Where is your sister?

Haro stares down at the text message and ignores it. Malcolm was driving Haro, Arion, and DeMar back home.

"Y'all wanna get something to eat?" Malcolm asks.

"Nah," Arion says. Haro shakes his head as Malcolm stares at him through the mirror.

During the car ride back to their household, they slept except Malcolm of course. DeMar was still wet from going inside the beach with Ella but he didn't mind. Arion and Haro were chilling.

When Malcolm finally pulled up to their house, Haro and Arion were dropped off and then Malcolm would take DeMar home after. They were too tired to converse. Haro opened the front door and Hector stood a few feet away from the entrance. Haro pushed passed him as Hector stared at the door waiting for Ella to enter. Something didn't seem right to him. He wouldn't have woken up if everything was alright. He was would have stayed asleep because he trusts them.

"Where's your sister?" He asks worriedly.

Haro shrugs and goes to the kitchen to get a water bottle. As he takes a sip, Hector walks into the kitchen with a tiresome facial expression.

"Haro, I know we aren't on good terms right now but I need to know where your sister is right now," Hector grits his teeth and Haro shrugs

"Why?"

Hector shakes his head, "She texted me she was coming home soon and it's been a little over an hour right now." He stares at Haro with a pleading look and Haro looks at him blankly. He wasn't buying his story.

"She's with Reggie," Arion interrupts.

"I know that and I can't get a hold of him either," Hector admits. Arion furrows his eyebrows.

"How many times did you call them?"

"Too many now," Hector says. He lost count after the fourth call directed to Ella.

"Call her," Arion tells Haro. He rolls his eyes and calls Ella. They listen to Haro's phone on speaker ring for a while and then go to her automated voicemail.

Hector shakes his head and grabs the keys to his Caddy. Arion follows behind him like a child while dragging Haro. Haro angrily follows and goes into the backseat of the Cadillac while Arion sits in the front.