twenty

Isabella

Word got out that DeMar and I were dating. Of course no one knew what happened the past days so they didn't believe me when I said we weren't dating. I'm pretty sure Kevin opened up his mouth, but at the same time, he isn't one to spread people's business like that.

"Hey," Paul says and stands next to me in the lunch line. I wasn't even hungry. I just didn't want to face DeMar yet.

"Hey, Paul," I smile. "How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks. You're shooting tonight right?" He asks. His tall frame towers over mine as he stands closer to me. I didn't start tripping that he was so close to me because I saw the girls behind him that were standing extra close to him.

"Yep," I laugh as I watch him smack his lips as one of the girls bump into him. He is uncomfortable and I let him stand in front of me. I feel one of the girls tap my shoulders, but I pretend that I don't.

"I know you feel me," she says and I instantly recognize the voice of my old friend. It felt so weird hearing her talk to me because it had been a minute since we talked. I turn around to face her and see her friends behind her. It's funny because she's with the girls that her and I used to promise to never hang out with.

I won't lie, I missed my bestfriend. I missed talking to a girl in general. Seems like the only friends I have are boys—literally.

"Sorry, I thought it was by accident," I lie. She has an unamused face and it's like a bïtch face.

"You're messing with every guy in town now," she insults. I furrow my eyebrows and I feel Paul step closer to me.

"What?"

"What? You been deep throating so many dïcks that it gone affected your hearing?" She smacks. Paul immediately steps in between us before she could continue. I want to say something else but he pushes me to the front of the line. I grab my food with irritation and move on.

"Chill, Ella," Paul whispers. "Don't listen to her."

"Shut up," I say through gritted teeth. I immediately apologize afterword.

"It's cool," he says. "I know you're heated at the moment."

I pay for my food and wait for Paul. Him and I walk to the table and sit down next to each other at the table with the boys.

"I am so tired of y'all," DeAndre groans. We all face him and wait for him to continue. "Y'all literally sit on the edge of the tables as if we don't know what goes on between y'all two." He points at DeMar and I and we exchange looks. I quickly avert my eyes and just look back at DJ.

DeMar looked alright, I guess. He skipped first period this morning, so I knew something was up. He wasn't messing around with Kyle or eating. In that split second that I saw his eyes, I could see a bit of hurt. Something was definitely hurting him, but we did just break up. However, what strike me the most was the appearance of a red mark on his cheek. It was like a small cut but with swelling around it. It wasn't there the other day I saw him.

"We're not dating," he says. DeAndre shakes his head, still not believing what DeMar says.

"It's not good to lie-"

"We're not dating," he shrugs and slouches in his seat. "Yes we dated for a period of time but then we broke up. You see? It's simple."

DJ looks at me as if for clarification and I just stare back at him. I froze and I don't know why. My cheeks were still heated and my throat swelled.

"Deadass?"

"Deadass."

"Damn, my bad, y'all," DJ apologizes. Paul hits my shoulder with his elbow to get me out of my trance.