SIX

Ch. 6: Crushing

"You can't have a crush on him, Liv!" Mae hissed.

"Sh! James could hear you!" she gasped.

"From the Hufflepuff common room?" she demanded.

"Would you honestly put it past my brother?" Olivia looked at Mae, head titled.

"Fair enough. But tell me more," she said eagerly.

The Potter girl sat deep in thought. Tell her more? Well, besides it being Romeo and Juliet forbidden and certainly one-sided, that was all. She lowered her eyes to the muffin wrapper still clench in her hand. She felt sick suddenly, imagining James' reaction if her and Regulus dated. She could picture him processing the words, his face slowly contorting to rage. Then he'd pull her close and aim his wand at Regulus Black. He'd kill the poor boy, insistent that he did something horrible to her. She clenched the wrapper so hard there were bloody crescent moons on her palm.

She shook her head. "There's nothing to tell."

~

James Potter unleashed yet another prank on the Slytherin goons. He high-fived Sirius, patting Remus on the back. His short attention, quickly turned to Lily who went to go and help the Slytherins. It's just who she was. She helped those who didn't deserve it. (Liv always thought she deserved worlds better than James.)

But they spat that horrible word at her. The whole courtyard was silent for a moment until only the sound of James' shouting hexes filled it. It only stopped when Sirius seized him and held him back. He thrashed around in his friends grip, Olivia rushing over to her brother.

"James...James...deep breaths," she said softly, breathing with him.

Once he had calmed down, Sirius let go. "They shouldn't call her that," he lowered his eyes to the ground, kicking at a rock.

"No you're right. And I should be called a blood traitor, but this is what they've been taught..." Olivia said to her brother as McGonagall came rushing over. She looked over her shoulder at Avery and his friends who dusted off their robes. The look in his eye sent chills down her spine.

Liv bid her brother farewell and hurried on her way. She knew Avery was already planning his revenge.

"Liv! Liv wait!" Regulus called out to her.

She stopped, looking over her shoulder at the Slytherin rushing toward her. "If you're here to save me, you're early."

"I'm hoping I don't need to. He'll probably only attack if you're alone!" Regulus pointed out.

"I really just want to be alone," she said stepped away from him.

"Wow, Liv...did I do something to upset you?" Regulus frowned down at her.

"You didn't...you didn't do anything..." she sighed softly. "Hogsmead."

"What?"

"Tomorrow is the trip to Hogsmead. Mae isn't going. She has a family thing. Avery could get me if I'm all alone," she elaborated, lowering her eyes to her shoes. She rocked back and forth on her heels.

"Consider it a date. I'll meet you in the courtyard before we go," he winked.

"A d-date?" she stuttered.

"Bye, Liv," he mused walking off, leaving Liv all alone. She hurried back to the Hufflepuff common room to tell Mae the exciting and horrifying news.

"A date!" Mae gasps. "He likes you too!"

"Or he's messing with me!" Liv insisted. "But bigger picture here! Avery's pissed."

"You can never leave the common room again. Oh god," she gasped suddenly, face contorting with horror. "Oh I'm telling James!"

"Nonsense!" Liv scolded. "You'll do no such thing! I don't need to leave for a while anyway. I have a lot of studying to do."

"Olivia Florence Potter!" Mae scolded. "Tell him before you get hurt!"

"James and I just made up. I'm not upsetting him. Sirius is a mess and it's slowly sucking the energy out of James. He's on edge. He'll snap. I won't get hurt this time I promise," Olivia held up her pinky finger.

"Hm. Maybe I'll buy James some chocolates! For when he's upset with you!"

~

"If it's so bad that you're skipping class I really think you should talk to your brother," a voice said behind her.

She looked over her shoulder at Regulus who stood by the kitchens entrance.

"Have you been talking to Mae lately?" the Hufflepuff asked, fixing her glasses.

Regulus laughed softly, the sound making her stomach do summersaults. She watched curiously as Regulus kindly asked the elves for a tea and a biscuit.

"You think that I'd be rude to the creatures that make such amazing food?" he scoffed at Liv, catching her eye.

"What! No! I just...most Slytherin's from families like yours...you think you're above everyone else. Wouldn't your parents beat the shit out of you for saying please?"

He blinked at her, seeming rather startled to hear her swear. He shrugged, "I'm a brilliant actor, love."

"Actually, it's Liv. Well, actually actually it's Olivia. Everyone calls me Olivia except James who calls me Ollie and Mae...she calls me Liv," she rambled on.

"Why aren't you in Charms, Olivia?" Regulus asked softly, smiling kindly as his tea was delivered.

She was quiet for a long time. She felt sick to her stomach. She hadn't left the kitchens since she first woke up. Regulus could have guessed so by her messy hair and pajamas. There were bags under her eyes like she hadn't slept in days and she hadn't. Her stomach growled, hungry for food she knew she wouldn't be able to keep down.

Liv shook her head, blinking back tears.

"Tell your brother, Liv," he frowned.

She shook her head again. "I can't," she whispered. "Pranking people is his only escape from Sirius. He's depressed. It's really bad and it makes him feel better. Your brother takes it all out on James..."

"Let me talk to my brother, okay?" he asked, squeezing her hand gently.

"You think he'd be willing to?"

"If I told him talking to me would get you to talk about who hurt you then yes. Your like a sister to him, Liv," he smiled up at her. "It hurts me to see my brother in so much pain. I'll do what I can."