FIVE

Ch. Five: Savior

"Liv! Liv wake up!" Mae shook her arm.

Olivia groaned, burying her face into his pillow. "What could you possibly want at," she paused, looking over at her alarm clock, "two in the morning?"

"I had a dream! It was about James!" Mae said with excitement.

"Hegla save me!" Olivia exclaimed covering her ears.

"You're my best friend! You have to listen!" Mae said, climbing under the covers with her. "So, it was Christmas, you invited me and James had his friends there too. We were all hanging out, having fun...And James kissed me under the mistletoe!"

Olivia looked over at her. "I've told you a thousand times, he fancies Lily Evans."

"Then," Mae proceeded as if her friend hadn't even spoken, "James invited me up to his room and—"

"MAE!" the Potter girl shouted, hitting her roommate with a pillow. "You're disgusting!"

"And we opened Christmas presents! You're the disgusting one Liv!" she shot back.

Olivia laughed softly, looking up at the top of her four poster bed. She exhaled slowly, letting her eyes fall shut. She could perfectly see Regulus Black, those beautiful eyes, shy yet arrogant smile, the messy hair. He called her Liv, too. When Mae said it, it didn't give her the same butterflies that it gave her when Regulus said it.

Her eyes snapped open, heart pounding in her chest. She shook her head, telling herself that those butterflies stemmed from fear associated with Slytherin. The savage look on Avery's face, the cold steel against her forearm which now ached unbearably.

Deciding that sleep wouldn't come to her now on this rainy Saturday night, Olivia slipped on her shoes and set to walking to clear her mind. She stopped in the kitchens, grabbing a muffin from the very kind House Elves. She looked down the hall in the direction on the Slytherin common room and quickly walked the other way.

She snuck up to the astronomy tower, staring up the starry sky.

"You know if you use the telescope it's even prettier," mused a voice behind her.

She jumped, spinning around to find none other than her brother. "Would it kill you to clear your throat or something as you approach?" she said, turning back around.

"Remus says you like to come here and think. And I saw you on the map," he held up the Marauders Map. He'd shared it with his sister only after all four boys made her pinky promise not to tell anyone.

"Stalking me? Making sure I don't go running off to meet Regulus?" she glared at him.

"I'd love to say no, but I have to say yes. You know how I am," he said standing beside her at the railing.

"Mother Hen," she snorted, nudging his side.

He ruffled her hair in response, the two wrestling playfully (and carefully) near the balcony.

"Are we okay?" James asked after catching his breath from laughing so hard.

"We're always okay, James. Even when I want to kill you, we're okay."

~

The next morning, Olivia found herself rushing in late to Herbology. Professor Sprout, being quite fond of the girl, gave her a very knowing look. If it happened again she'd take away points, but today she'd get away with it.

"Miss Potter, take a seat," the professor said, turning around to grab something.

"All the seats are taken," she frowned.

"Nonesense. Take a seat next to Mr. Black," she gestured next to Regulus's stool. He smirked as she slowly made her way over. "So kind of you to join me, Liv," he said in quiet voice.

Liv cast him a glare, throwing her hair up into a ponytail with her signature floral scrunchie. She returned her attention to the lesson, tapping her fingers on the desk. She missed breakfast and impatiently waited to eat the apple in her bag. However, as time dragged on, she was rather surprised by Regulus' knowledge of Herbology.

After class, Olivia went to catch up with Mae when Regulus grabbed her arm. "Walk with me, Liv?"

Mae shook her head madly, but Liv said yes.

They hung back, walking together toward the castle. "Hungry?" he asked, holding out a muffin.

Olivia considered this, snatching up the muffin. The apple easily beat the muffin.

"Sirius warned me to stay away from you. But he left me alone with my parents and I'm not too fond of him," he shrugged.

"He's really a good guy, Regulus. He just doesn't hold you in the highest regards. I don't blame him. Your friends are shit," Olivia said around her muffin.

"I'm sure he's nice to you. And I don't blame him either. I associate with some terrible people...I don't know...It's some sick obsession to make my parents proud," he looked down at his feet. He looked and sounded so vulnerable...

Liv produced the sweater from her bag, holding it out. "Consider it a thank you for saving me."

"This is nicer than the school jumpers! Where'd you get this?" Regulus asked examining it.

"Made it myself," she shrugged, beginning to blush.

Regulus grinned, folding it over his arm. "Well, aren't you mighty talented!"

The Hufflepuffs heart fluttered at the comment. It fluttered the same way it did when she was 12 years old, having a massive crush on Sirius. Her heart seized, a curse falling from her lips. She made a quick excuse to leave and ran to go find Mae.