TWO

Ch. 2: Transfiguration

That night, after dinner, Olivia made her way to the empty transfiguration room. McGonagall had promised to leave the room open so she could use it to study for the quiz which had been postponed until tomorrow. With gratitude in her heart, Olivia opened the door and stepped inside.

She tossed her bag on the nearest table. She turned and dug around in her bag for a moment, chewing on her lower lip. At last, she found her textbook. Shoving her bag aside, Olivia laid out the textbook, parchment, ink and her quill.

She looked at the room around her as she tied her hair up with her her signature floral scrunchie.  It was time to get to work.

The Potter girl worked, writing down some notes and tips for herself before even thinking about pulling her wand out. Unlike her brother, her work ethic was excellent. She was filled with so much determination when it came to her school work that James thought she should be in Gryffindor.

Olivia hummed softly as she scribbled on the parchment in her sloppy handwriting that only her and her professors could comprehend. She frowned at the Transfiguration text book in confusion. She leaned forward to try and read the text with narrowed eyes.

Just as she was beginning to think it made sense, the softest of sounds behind her, made her jump. She looked over her shoulder, seeing the room empty. "Hello?" she asked anyway, stepping toward the door hesitantly. She'd abandoned her wand at the table—but by the time she realized that, it was too late, anyway.

She tried to run back for her wand as the door was flung open by the group of Slytherins as they stormed into the room. Olivia made it halfway before Avery tackled her to the ground, causing her to cry out. The males clammy hands, slapped over her mouth as he held her to the ground. She was expecting the anger directed at her...but this...

The looks on the boys faces was that of uncontrollable rage. Not just bitterness—the boys were fuming. Despite the fear coursing through her, the squirmed under Avery trying to get away. This only angered Avery more. A sharp slap on the cheek stilled Olivia instantly. Tears pricked her eyes from the impact, but she didn't let them fall.

The Slytherin's meant business. For a moment, Olivia's heart stopped. Was this how she died? They looked angry enough and lacked all the morals that would have stopped them from killing someone.

Olivia fought back again, only to be slapped a second time.

"Feisty thing, isn't she?" laughed one of the other boys. "I'm beginning to see the resemblance to her shitty brother."

The others chortled in agreement. Olivia thrashed again, expecting to be slapped again. This time, Avery's hand wrapped around her throat. She gasped, and regretted the exhale. Her body thrashed, trying to get more oxygen. She clawed at Avery's filthy hands.

"Not so tough now, are we?" he laughed.

"Oi! Don't kill her! The fun has just begun," cried one of the other boys, pulling Avery away.

Olivia didn't hesitate. She took off toward the door with a fuzzy brain. She was grabbed around the waist and slammed into the wall. She yelled in pain, looking out down the hall. Now would be a good time McGonagall, she thought desperately.

"Hold her steady!" one of the boys said, her arm being pinned to the wall. She heard the soft, slick sound of a pocket knife being engaged. Olivia closed her eyes tight as was felt the cold bite of metal against her skin. She cried out as they started carving into her flesh: BLOOD TRAITOR.

Olivia had tears rolling down her face when they finished. She fell to her knees, only to be kicked in the side and topple over. She was kicked again and again. She cried out, trying to curl away.

As her vision started going dark, she thought she saw McGonagall in her animangus form. But as she raised her head she realized it was Mrs. Norris.

The kicking stopped and was replaced by cursing. The boys took off, leaving Olivia on the floor in too much pain to move.

Olivia cried softly, hopping Mr. Filch would find her and bring her to the nurse. After what felt like hours, but was only a few minutes, she heard footsteps down the hall.

She saw the Slytherin robes before she saw a face. She let fresh tears fall, begging them to just leave her alone. She'd pay them all the galleons in the world if they left her alone.

"I'm not going to hurt you, calm down," the voice said and she was lifted up into strong arms.

Olivia tried to focus her eyes, making out soft grey eyes. "Sirius?" she asked in confusion, mistaking the grey eyes to be her brother's best friends. She was in too much pain to even wonder why he'd be wearing a Slytherin uniform.

"Close. It's Regulus," he said softly. His was gentle and soothing, which surprised Olivia. But it calmed her too, easing the tension that had worked its way into her body out of fear of being hurt.

"Regulus," was all Olivia whispered before passing out in his arms.

~

When Olivia woke the next morning, her head was foggy. She only distantly remembered last night as she lay, blinking up at the ceiling. She went to sit and pain flared up and down her body. With a yelp, the Hufflepuff laid back down.

Her hand trembled as she reached out and touched the words carved into her arms. They made her feel sick. BLOOD TRAITOR. They made her feel ashamed.

She turned her head to the side. She was surprised to see Regulus Black next to her, and even more surprised to look down at herself wearing his sweater.

"What happened?" she asked softly.

"Well, you were beaten up and bleeding out. I heard the boys talking afterwards. I went to help you. I brought you here..." Regulus said gently, shifting uncomfortably.

"Did you tell anyone who...who did it?"

Regulus shook his head. "No one has asked yet. I'm sure someone will, but," he simply shrugged, looking down at his hands. "Madame Pomfrey was more concerned with the cuts on your arms. They were bleeding a lot..."

Olivia pushed the sweater sleeve back to look at the words. She frowned at how deep they were, she knew they'd scar. Forever she would bear the words "Blood Traitor".

"Mum said you and your whole family are blood traitors. For a while, I...well I wasn't really sure what she meant, but I figured it out when I saw you talking to Mae and James fawning over Lily Evans...Mum said you and James are a disgrace. That Sirius is one, too..." Regulus said, his voice was strained.

"You believe that?" Olivia asked.

Of course he did. Sirius said he couldn't get enough of whatever Mummy told him to believe. He was like a lost dog looking for treats.

"I'm not sure. Mum said you were the worst kind of people, but you don't seem that bad..." he frowned down at her. He glanced up at the clock. "I have to get going. Feel better, Liv."

He got up and started walking away before he paused. "Is Sirius...happy?"

Olivia nodded. "Yeah, he is."

The faintest of smiles tugged at Regulus' lips. With that he left, leaving Olivia to lay in awe, looking up at the ceiling.

Liv...only Mae called her Liv—only Mae was allowed to. She liked the sound of her name on his lips.