39. Wild About You

"The zoo?" I ask, quirking an eyebrow at Josh as I glance out the window at the rain pouring down from the sky. I loved my boyfriend dearly but there was no way he was getting my pregnant butt out of this house in the middle of a downpour, especially to go to a place with little to no roof coverage. "Baby who don't we just have a movie day?" I ask as I glance at our comfortable couch.

He sighs, shaking his head. "I planned the whole day out. Well actually Liam and I planned it all out. Do you really want to disappoint him?" he asks, guilting me into saying yes because he knows that I'm incapable of saying no to anything that involves my son. I let out a deep sigh, placing my hand over my baby bump.

"Fine" I concede. "But we aren't staying if the weather gets any worse" I add as a giddy grin spreads across Josh's lips. "Liam let's go" I shout down the hall and within seconds he's running down the hallway with his jacket let in his hands.

"Ready" he announces and I chuckle, moving towards him and helping him out on his jacket.

"Now you're ready" I assure him, standing back up and looking between the boys skeptically. "Are either of you going to tell me why you're so excited to go to the zoo on the rainiest day of the year?" I ask confusedly. Josh shrugs.

"Why can't we just be excited to see some animals?" he asks nonchalantly. "They are pretty amazing creatures" he adds and I roll my eyes. I knew Joshua Matthews better than I knew myself. Something was up, I just didn't know what it was.

"C'mon mom!" Liam exclaims. "We have to go before the place closes."

My eyes widen in excitement. "Perfect. I think the weather is supposed to be sunny tomorrow. We should just wait" I try once more but the two of them look at me with unamused looks on their faces. They were clearly not interested in staying home today. I huff.

"Fine" I agree finally, dropping my arguments once and for all. "But if I get sick you can explain it to the doctors" I tell them as I reach for my jacket and the three of us head out of the house towards the car. Since I reached the halfway point in my pregnancy and lost the ability to see my feet over my growing belly Josh had taken over driving responsibilities which meant that I got to relax and enjoy car rides for the first time since Dean passed. I lean back in my seat and allow my eyes to flutter shut as the familiar tired feeling settles over my body. The worst part of being pregnant was that the growing little one inside of me stole everything, my energy, my food, my sleep. I was blessed to be pregnant and I was excited but I was beginning to hate it and the countdown to my due date had started.

I yawn and Josh smiles, placing his hand on my thigh. "Get some sleep gorgeous. I'll wake you up when we get there" he assures me. I nod, drifting off until the car comes to a stop and I hear Josh take his key from the ignition.

"Mommy we're here" Liam announces as my eyes flutter open. The rain has slowed down but the zoo is still dead. We're one of perhaps fifty cars in the parking lot and I sigh.

"So it seems" I reply, taking off my seatbelt. "Are you sure you both don't want to just go see a movie or something?" I ask but they both shake their heads. "Alright" I give, climbing out of the car and following the two of them into the main concourse. Josh's hand slips into mine and a smile tugs at my lips as he gives it a soft squeeze.

"I promise you'll be happy we dragged you out of the house" he assures me and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. He seemed pretty sure of himself, I just wish I could figure out why.

The three of us stop in the food court to get some food which I devour in less time than both the boys before we head off into the park to look at the animals. "Can we go look at the lions first?" Liam asks impatiently and I laugh, nodding my head.