16. Drunk in Love

There's a light knock on the door and a smile tugs at my lips as I place my glass on the coffee table and pause the show I was watching. I climb off the couch and stumble to the door. I wasn't drunk but I was certainly closer to it on a scale of sober to drunk. I steady myself with one of the stools and finish my journey, pulling open the door and finding my boyfriend on the other side. He takes in my appearance and his eyebrows furrow as he pushes his way inside. "Maya baby how much did you drink?" he asks, walking into the house. There was an empty bottle on the counter and a half empty bottle on the coffee table.

"Not that much" I wave off. Honestly I was surprised I hadn't fallen over in exhaustion. Alcohol made me drowsier than it did for most and after my night I was more than ready to crawl into my nice, warm bed.

"Baby" he sighs as he turns back to face me, rubbing his neck. I knew that nervous tick.

"Calm down" I insist. "I'm fine." I try to step towards him but I stumble. He's quick to catch me, straightening me up.

"I think you need to get some sleep" he says. I nod in agreement and allow him to help me down the hallway to my bedroom. He shuts my door behind us and I quickly burst out of his arms and flop onto my bed. "Jesus Maya" he mutters.

Josh's POV

He moves towards me and shakes his head, looking around the room while rubbing his neck. "Sweetheart do you wanna change?" I ask carefully. The last thing I wanted to do is say something that would set her off. I knew this was supposed to be going slow. Well our definition of slow anyway.

"Jammies" she mutters, pointing to her dresser. Well the wall beside the dresser but I figured she didn't keep her pajamas in a secret compartment of the wall. I head over to the dresser and pull open the first drawer. A blush rises on my cheeks as I take in the contents of the drawer. Her lingerie. I quickly shut it, my heart beating rapidly in my chest. I shake my head and open the next one. Pajamas. I let out a breath of relief as I pull out a pair of plaid flannel pants and a white tank top. I walk them over to her and bite my lip as I think about how to go about this.

"Here" I say, handing her the clothes. Smooth Josh.

"No" she shakes her head, grabbing at her back. I quickly gather that she needs me to unzip her dress. Holy fuck is this going to test my self-control. Since I was a freshman in college all I thought about was what it would be like to have this girl in my bed. What her skin would feel like underneath my hands, how her chest would rise and fall with shallow breaths, what my name would sound like falling from her lips as she let herself go for me. Jesus Josh snap out of this shit. She's drunk and you're in the bedroom she shared with her husband.

"You need help?" I ask, swallowing the lump in my throat. She nods and I let out a long breath as I reach out for the zipper. I pull it down and I'm thankful for the fact that she's wearing a bra. "Alright" I smile as I move back. "I'll step out so you can-."

"Just help me" she begs as she struggles to stand. I catch her and her dress falls to the floor. I want to memorize every curve of her body but that will get me nowhere good so instead I grab the dress that's pooled around her feet and move it to the side. I grab her pants and help her step into them before pulling the shirt over her head. I know sleeping in her bra can't be comfortable but there is no way in hell I'm taking that off for her. I untuck her bed and guide her under the blankets.

"Goodnight Maya" I whisper.

"Thank you Josh" she replies softly. "I love you."

"I love you too gorgeous" I whisper in return as I turn around. I grab the clothes and pile them together, not really knowing where they're supposed to go. I leave the room, shutting the door behind me before going to check on Liam. I know he's not mine but I feel like since his mom is down for the count I should make sure the little guy is still fast asleep. I crack open his door and sure enough, his soft snores fill the room and a smile pulls at my lips. I close the door softly before returning to the living area. Maya was in the middle of the newest episode of The Fosters so I make sure it saves to the DVR before shutting off the television. I grab her glass and the half empty bottle of wine and carry them into the kitchen. I find the empty bottle and spot the recycle bin, tossing it inside. I look around the space for the cork of the second bottle and I finally spot it beside the fridge. I put it in place before opening the double doors and placing it inside. I return to the sink, turning the water on quietly to do the few dishes in the sink. Considering she cooked all morning there wasn't much a mess which shocks me. I was never one to clean my area when cooking. I made a huge mess and let it sit until I had enjoyed my meal.