26. Moving In or Moving Too Fast

"Hey sleepyhead" I smile, pushing back the hair on my son's head while I sit on the edge of his bed. Today was Monday morning and the final week of January. I was excited to close the book on this month and begin looking forward to everything that February had to offer.

It wasn't that the first month of the year had sucked it was just unexpected in many ways. I obviously didn't expect Josh's ex showing up on my doorstep with his son in her arms but I also didn't expect to be moving so quickly in my relationship with Josh. It seemed surreal that I was actually moving in with him but it just felt right, like the next natural step and I was beyond excited.

"No" Liam whines, burying his head in his pillow. "No school."

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Sorry buddy but you gotta go to school. Get up please. I want you dressed and ready to go in fifteen minutes" I add, standing up and leaving the room. As Liam was getting older I only saw it fitting to begin allowing him some freedom in getting himself ready. Of course if he looked too ridiculous I sent him back and I still did his hair and reminded him to brush his teeth but we were beginning with baby steps.

"Hey gorgeous" Josh smiles, walking down the hallway at the same time I walk out of Liam's room.

"Hi" I reply happily, turning to follow him into the kitchen. "You're up early. I was just about to go and wake you up."

"When you got out of bed you woke me" he explains as he moves towards the fridge and grabs the Fruit Loops off the top. "It's fine though. I really need to start getting to work earlier anyway."

"Oh" I reply, grabbing a bowl and placing it in front of him before going to grab the milk. "I was actually gonna see if you wouldn't mind taking Liam in with you today. The traffic lately has been horrible and I've been late to work three out of the past five days."

"Don't you work for yourself" he chuckles, shoveling a ridiculous amount of food into his mouth at once.

"Yea but still. It doesn't look good to clients when you're walking in late and interrupt the photo shoot that your father had to start for you. I want to look professional and plus, it really doesn't make sense for both of us to be driving our cars and wasting gas to go to the same place."

"Alright" he concedes, placing his bowl onto the countertop. "But I have to warn you that if the district finds out about us you know, living together, they might pull Liam from my class. They could try and argue that I give him preferential treatment."

"Which you aren't" I express sternly.

"Of course I'm not" he agrees. "I'm just warning you. I don't want you to get all irate if something were to happen."

"Irate?" I question. "I don't get irate."

"Oh but you do" he chuckles. "But I like it so don't ever change" he smiles, leaning down to peck my lips making a smile pull at my lips.

"I'm ready" Liam announces, walking into the room wearing a simple pair of jeans and a green dinosaur t-shirt.

"Don't forget your shoes buddy" Josh reminds him. "You alright riding with me today kiddo?"

"Whatever" he shrugs making tears prickle at the back of my eyes. At the beginning of Josh and I's relationship Liam was so much different, always on edge and an emotional mess but now he trusted Josh and seemed to be much happier and I couldn't be more proud of him.

"Good thing you're not wearing makeup yet" Josh chuckles, kissing the top of my head. "Don't cry. It makes your cheeks puffy" he murmurs making me chuckle as he lets me go and moves towards my son. "Hey buddy you need this too" he adds, tossing Liam his jacket. It falls before he catches it making Josh chuckle as he ruffles Liam's hair. "We'll work on it" he says, grabbing Liam's backpack.