13. The Young and Stubborn

"Can I wear my costume to school today?" Liam asks me when he wanders into my bedroom on Tuesday morning. Today was Halloween and my son wanted more than anything for me to allow him to wear his costume to school today even though we had celebrated the holiday over the weekend.

"Liam" I sigh, running my fingers through my hair as I kneel down in front of him. "You aren't allowed to wear your costume to school" I explain. He pouts, crossing his arms across his chest.

"I'm calling Josh" he exclaims, taking me by surprise but I quickly pull myself together and shake my head.

"You will do no such thing. And he's your teacher, he's going to tell you the same thing I did" I sigh. "You cannot wear your costume to school."

"Ugh" he moans in annoyance as he stomps off to his bedroom. He slams his door shut as I stand up and take a deep breath only to be interrupted by my phone ringing. I walk over to my nightstand and bite my lip when I see the name on the screen. I take a long, deep breath before answering the phone.

"Diana" I exclaim. "What a pleasant surprise."

"Maya darling how are you?" she asks politely.

"Um" I stutter. "It's been a long morning" I admit with a sigh as I take a seat on my bed. "Liam wants to wear his costume to school today" I explain making her chuckle.

"Let the kid embrace his individuality" she exclaims making me roll my eyes. I wanted my son to be an individual but I didn't want to put Josh in a situation where he might instill favoritism on Liam because we were dating.

"He can be an individual without getting into trouble" I remind my mother in law.

"Okay" she gives. "What's new darling? I feel like we haven't spoken in forever" she says. I bring my bottom lip between my teeth and debate whether or not to tell her about me and Josh. "Maya" she says, catching my attention. I shake my head and bring myself back to the moment.

"What? Sorry mom" I laugh lightly, the name I had been calling her for the past three years rolling off my tongue with ease.

"It's quite alright darling. I should let you go. It seems you have your hands full with Liam this morning. Tell him I say hello."

"Of course" I reply politely before we say our goodbyes and hang up. I pocket my phone and wander down the hallway to Liam's door. I push open his door and find him sitting on his bed dressed in his costume. "You need to get dressed."

"I am dressed" he argues without looking up at me. "I'm not changing" he says. I shake my head and walk into his room, grabbing a change of clothes and placing them on his bed.

"You'll be in the living room in five minutes, dressed and ready to go or else you'll be going the next week without television. I'm serious Liam. Get dressed" I say sternly before walking out of his room. I walk into the living room and gather my things, waiting for my son to come out of his room. I realize I forgot my phone and wander back to my room to grab it. On the walk back Liam's door opens and he steps out, dressed in his usual clothes. "You look great buddy" I ruffle his hair but he steps just out of reach.

"Can we go?" he asks. I nod and lead him out to the car. I open his door but he shakes his head, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm not riding in the car" he argues making me explode on the inside. I keep my composure on the outside and take a deep breath.

"Liam we have to take the car or you'll be late."

"I'm not getting in the car" he shouts as he steps back from me. I take another long breath and run my fingers through my hair trying to calm my frustration.