28. Birthday Battle

I'm standing in the middle of the kitchen staring at the pantry with my lip between my teeth. I had planned all of this out in my head last night after Josh drifted off to sleep but now, standing in the middle of the kitchen a memory pierces my mind and I can't shake it.

"Morning" Dean murmurs, snaking his arms around my waist and pulling me against his chest. I flip the pancakes over in the skillet and groan.

"Baby you're supposed to be asleep" I remind him. It was his birthday and making him breakfast in bed had been the only manageable thing I could think of to do today. What with Liam being in his terrible twos we didn't have much time or energy for anything.

"Sorry. I just couldn't stay away" he adds making a blush rise on my cheeks as he lifts my nightgown. "Breakfast can wait. I'm hungry for something else right now" he says and with that I turn around and crash my lips onto his.

"Maya?" Josh asks, wandering into the room with nothing but a pair of gray sweatpants hanging off his hips. I break from my trance and glance over at him to find his eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Morning sweetheart" he offers with a soft smile.

"Morning" I murmur in return, glancing back up at the pantry. "Did I wake you?"

"No. I had to go to the bathroom and woke up to an empty bed. What are you doing in here sweetheart?" he asks, walking towards me but I reflexively take a step back.

"I-I can't" I shake my head. He stops and looks at me with that frustrating pitiful expression on his face. "Don't give me that look" I plead as I take another step back. "I hate that look."

"Okay" he says, putting his hands up in surrender. "Do you want me to take Liam out for the morning and you can have some time to yourself?" he asks sweetly. With that simple question I'm reminded why I fell for Josh so easily and so quickly. He wasn't pitying me, he was concerned and willing to do anything to help me, even if it meant taking my son off my hands so I could have a minute to myself.

Suddenly my lungs inflate fully and I feel the world slowly righting itself. I take a few calming breaths and take a cautious step forward.

"No. You don't have to go. It's your birthday. Just-please stay" I beg, taking another step to fill the distance between us. "I'm sorry" I apologize, stepping into his embrace. "I was going to make you breakfast in bed for your birthday but then I thought about how I used to so the same thing for Dean and then my head just got-."

"Maya, slow down" Josh says softly, wrapping his arms around me. "It's okay. What if we did brunch instead? And, we can eat right here in the living room" he adds, pulling back enough to look down at me. "That sound okay?"

One last calming breath falls from my lips and I nod, looking up at him lovingly. "That sounds perfect. Thank you" I add softly. "Sometimes I feel like I'd fall off a cliff if you weren't there to talk me off the ledge" I confess. He smiles, caressing my cheek as he stares down into my eyes.

"I'll always be there to talk you off that ledge sweetheart. Why don't you go wake up the kid and I'll get started on some bacon. I was thinking bacon, burgers, and maybe some hash browns" he says, scooting past me and pulling open my freezer.

I pause at the entry of the hallway smile as I watch him pull out all the ingredients he needs and set them on the counter. I honestly would never know how I got so damn lucky. "Hey Josh" I call out to him causing his eyes to flick up to meet mine.

"Yea baby?"

I bite my lip in an attempt to stifle my smile. "Happy birthday."

His lips quirk up into a beaming grin. "Happy Valentine's Day" he counters causing my heart to flutter as I turn and continue on my way to my son's bedroom.