50 | Just Getting Started

Start from the beginning

"Close your eyes."

"Seriously?"

"Don't make me blindfold you," I chide.

This elicits a deep sigh and dimpled smile from Harry before he complies and covers his eyes with both hands. I make a funny face at him to make sure he can't see me, and when I receive no reaction, I quickly retrieve the guitar case from Anne and Robin's hallway cupboard before returning to my spot in front of Harry in the lounge room.

All of our family members have left and it's starting to get dark, which means Christmas Day is slipping away from us. Mum, Anne and Gemma are in the kitchen washing up from the day, while Dad and Robin are cleaning up the backyard. Even though they cannot see us unless they walk past the doorway separating the kitchen and dining room from the lounge, I know that Mum, Anne and Gemma are eavesdropping as best as they can.

I nervously bring my bottom lip between my teeth as I smile at Harry, waiting as patiently as he can. I rest my elbow on top of the case with my chin in my palm.

"You can open your eyes now."

He wastes no time in uncovering his eyes and they immediately widen at the sight before him. I give him a cheeky grin as I make a ta-da gesture with my free hand. He instantly shoots up from his seat and I straighten up.

"You didn't."

"Oh, but I did," I grin as I hold it out to him.

Up until now, Harry didn't actually have his very own guitar. He has mostly learnt and practised on Niall's. So I knew that I had to ask Niall and Dan for advice on a decent yet reasonably priced guitar for Harry, because he would have scolded me to no end if I bought him something too extravagant and therefore pricey. After explaining that to him - about knowing that he didn't officially have his own guitar, and consulting Niall and Dan about it - he finally takes it out of its case to hold it in shock for a while.

I can't help but laugh as I sit down next to him on the arm of the sofa. "Well, go on, play something!"

His expression of shock dissipates as soon as the first chord fills up the room and is replaced by one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen on his face. Almost immediately after the sound of the first chord, Anne, Gemma and Mum are poking their heads in the doorway, excited to see Harry's reaction and guitar playing.

"Get out of here, you lot, I have to give Liv her present now," he teases before putting the guitar back in the case. It is only when they disappear from view that he pulls me into his side and pecks my lips. "Thank you, Liv. I truly love it."

My hand instinctively touches the necklace around my neck as I recall the memory of it being given to me with a soft smile on my lips and tears in my eyes.

Harry urges me to wait where I am as he makes his way over to the Christmas tree, squatting down to pick up his gift to me. He hands me a box that fits in my lap, with green wrapping and a white bow. It feels light under my hands as I purse my lips in thought, wondering what could be inside. He quietly laughs when I give the gift a little shake to produce a bit of noise. I find a section of wrapping to tear and peel it back to reveal a plain black box. I cannot help but look up at him to make a face of disapproval.