50 | Just Getting Started

Three Weeks Later, Los Angeles

As I flick through my most recently developed photos, I cannot help but smile from ear to ear at each one. I was gifted with a professional camera from Anne and Robin for Christmas and I have since been documenting a lot of moments. Harry had said he suggested the gift to them when he noticed that I was experimenting with his own camera to take photos while we were on tour. There's something so surreal to me about photographs, about how they capture a moment in time to look back on forever. The most recent photos I took are from a day in the studio this week with Julian and John, where Harry joined us when he was free for the day.

Now that he has time off before commencing rehearsals for the Where We Are tour, Harry has followed me to Los Angeles where I have started up work again. It has been nearly two weeks since we traded the winter weather of our homeland for the warmer Californian climate, and in truth, it feels a little weird that Harry is following me for work and not the other way around. He partly hasn't known what to do with himself - it's just as strange for him as it is for me - so he has mainly joined me at work. Whether it be to keep us company or work collaboratively with us, and even roam the halls of the record labels to see if any other artists are writing and recording in the building.

Gemma's gift to me for Christmas was a travel journal. She had claimed that I can stick the photos I take with my camera on my travels in there, and that's what I've started to do. I reach into my bag by my feet for the journal and open up to a fresh page. My selected photo is me pointing the camera at a mirror in the studio with Harry, Julian and John making faces behind me from their spots around the room. I stick double sided tape to the back of the photo before sticking it to the page and writing the date and place the photo was taken.

Since Julian and I are taking a break, Harry left our little recording studio room a few minutes ago to roam the halls of Republic Records, where we have met with Julian today. John is tied up elsewhere with other songwriters. Keeping Harry's spot on the sofa warm is the guitar I gave him as a Christmas gift. Keeping that guitar hidden from him was no easy task, and a collaborative effort with Mum and Anne. But seeing his reaction when I was finally able to give it to him made it more than worthwhile.