Chapter Three

Hi again! Thank you so much for reading this far into my book! :) It's a slightly longer chapter (I think) and I hope you like it! Happy reading! :D Be sure to leave any questions you have in the comment box, I'm sorry if I made things unclear :P Read! :D

                    As we near the school, Ellie starts chattering like crazy.

                 "Have you heard that Ali got expelled? The whole thing is quite scandalous," she says excitedly. I drive past the academy's silver gates and sigh, gossip is not good for your soul, I think in my head. But shock also fills me; students almost never get expelled. What could have happened?

               "Ok, so this is the deal," Ellie whispers, turning her head towards me, "Nobody knows anything about why she was kicked out and everything is being kept secret."

                 "But I hear that Ali's at Lockwood now. Poor girl, that place must be horrible," finishes Ellie with a frown.

                 Sadness fills me. Ali was only a year younger than us and I remember her being a trusting, sweet girl. This incident only proves that the world we live in is as dangerous as a nest of snakes. Lockwood. Just hearing the name made me shiver. It was a school that took in students who had performed some, how to put it...undesirable actions. Troublemakers went there and I couldn't imagine sweet Ali there. It only made me wonder more about what she did to be put there in the first place.

                I drive up the long, hedged driveway to the school, already seeing people milling around the entrance. Spotting a parking space that wasn't too close to the front of the school and not too close to the back, I pull smoothly into the spot. I pat my car as I get out, "Good girl." I purred.

              "Jeez, Nikki." Ellie rolls her eyes, "If only you were that loving to real people." She says sarcastically.

                   "I do love them all! Everybody has their good aspects. You only have to worry about the occasional rotten egg." I protest honestly.

                  "Relax, I was joking. You're way too nice, that's your problem." Ellie says, shutting the car door.

                 We both headed towards school. Looking up at the stone building, I admire the vibrant, green ivy that tangled along the walls. Gorgeous, I think. Walking up the short steps to the door, I remember how I felt when I first got here two years ago. Small, insignificant, like the whole world had closed in on me. Adelaide Academy was huge, spreading out along the ground like an ancient, sleeping dragon.

                Gripping the carved, brass handle, I open the door and step inside. A wave of muskiness reaches my nose and I breathe in. No matter how difficult this school got, I loved it here. It was here that I could prepare for my future.

                My shoes sink down into the deep, soft carpet. I sigh in pleasure. Is this what a cloud feels like? I move along the crimson squishiness, past the main office. Glancing at the humongous, golden plaque that hung right by the office. I read:

                                                                Presented to: Adelaide Academy.

                                      Among our most honored and highest achieving schools.

                                                       Dedicated in preparing deadly fighters.