Chapter 31: Memorial

Wow. I gasped, astonishment washing over me. To my surprise, the Cintal Center was brimming with people. Students and faculty, friends and family alike were all gathered in the stands, overlooking the court below where they had moved the flowers to. An enormous picture of a stunning girl with red hair and a pure smile stood tall, the many bouquets surrounding her. There was a quiet hum coming from the crowd, each person still standing rather than sitting in their seats.

I glanced around, almost certain the entire student body had come to pay Marianne their final respects. It was almost amazing. One person...they're all here for one person. I tightened my hand into a fist. So many people came -so many of them actually showed up. I almost couldn't believe it after hearing the way everyone was talking. The outcome was overwhelming.

Too overwhelming.

I was about to turn to leave, my nerves too on edge from the number of people when a guard approached, ushering me. "There's an available seat over there, ma'am."

I shook my head. "O-oh no. I was just leaving."

"I'm sorry, ma'am," he apologized. "Doors are closed. The memorial is about to begin."

My eyes widened. "But...but I thought we could come and go as we pleased."

He shook his head, still guiding me to the empty seat. "I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but no. Now, please take a seat, ma'am."

Against my own personal wishes, I obeyed. I allowed him to steer me towards the seat he was talking about. I slid down into it and watched as he walked away, my anxiety overwhelming me. I had mistakenly bit off far more than I could chew. I was surrounded by a swarm of people who had shown up and there wasn't a thing I could do to escape. I was trapped, locked in that dreaded situation. In the end, all I could do was hope the memorial would be quick...as horrible as that sounded.

Just then, a voice began to speak, their tone saddened as it bounced from the speakers. "At this moment, the memorial service for Marianne Baegley will begin. Please take your seats."

At that, everyone began to sit, their already hushed chatter muted until nothing, but silence lingered. Almost all the seats were occupied, all of us huddled around the main area. A small stage was set up on the court with a small handful of people seated in foldable chairs. All were dressed in formal attire by what I could tell. The men were in well-fitted suits that gave them a sense of sophistication while the women wore either dresses or a nice shirt and skirt, making them appear elegant and graceful. Their wardrobe choices were making me feel guilty for wearing my usual ripped up jeans and an oversized hoody. In fact, almost everyone, including the crowd, was dressed relatively nicely.

Well, pretty sure I look like a douche for this. I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest. I was already feeling out of place and regretting my decision to come. I mean, I doubted Marianne was going to look down from wherever she was and care that I showed up. In the end, I could've skipped the whole thing and just stayed in. However, I was an idiot and I was there.

As I dwelled in my stupidity, the same man who had spoken earlier continued, "Thank you everyone for joining us this evening. Though we are united tonight through such a tragedy, we are also brought here to remember and honor the memory of Marianne Baegley." He glanced around the entire court. "After our speakers have spoken, we will be holding a moment of silence with a candlelit ceremony in her memory. Now, please show respect for our first speaker, Dr. Henrietta Gregory."

Due to why we were gathered there, no one clapped. And though it felt strange, it also felt fitting. We were there for Marianne, not the speakers. So, holding our applause only made sense.