Chapter 22: Throttle

I twiddled my thumbs, keeping my eyes trained on them as the silence lingered between us, a sense of uneasy awkwardness filling the spaces. I was too anxious to lift my gaze -too afraid that I'd meet his. That I'd see into those fierce golden orbs and lose what was left of my composure. I couldn't risk that...but I wasn't confident in my ability to keep that fake smile plastered on my face at the time, so I just kept my stare down. That was all I could do.

Finally, after a few moments in the stilled silence, Jean sighed, "So, uh, not that it's any of my business, but I think you are most definitely not fine." I could feel him observing me. "I mean, I don't know you, but I doubt you spend your time chilling on the ground in January."

Keeping my gape down, I shook my head, murmuring, "I-I'm fine. Really. Just go to wherever it is you're going." I lowered my voice to a soft mumble. "Please...don't worry about me."

I expected him to just leave it at that and walk away, but that was not what happened. In fact, he did the opposite. I listened as the soles of his boots scuffed the pavement, his steps growing closer to me until he approached me. I dared not to glimpse up at him out of fear of what my eyes would reveal and just stared at my fingers. That was when Jean stooped down to my level, the sensation of his eyes burning into me being all I felt. Damn it. What the fuck is this guy's deal? I told him to go.

"Y/N, right?" he continued, his tone sincere with gentleness. "Are you hurt or something? Did you injure yourself?" He paused briefly, lowering his voice. "You don't need to lie, either. I saw you try not to cry. Is it your ankle or foot?"

I immediately brought my stare to his, the panic most likely sprawled across my features as I gasped, "W-what? You-you saw that? But...but..."

"Yeah, I saw," he nodded, keeping his eyes on me. "Now, ankle or foot?"

I chewed on my lower lip and answered, "Foot. My foot." I once again dropped my gaze and breathed, "I hurt my foot. I think I pulled something when I fell."

Honestly, I felt embarrassed. I was in a vulnerable position, both physically and mentally. There I was, trapped on the ground after taking a third spill that resulted in an injury. I couldn't get up on my own even if I wanted to by that point due to the throbbing pain pulsing through my foot. And, above all else, I was beyond drained. I had no energy whatsoever and I knew it was due to my mentality. I was upset but I didn't want to focus on my own self-pity. That would have been...pitiful of me.

"Can you walk or is your foot totally shot?" he pressed, most likely oblivious to my self-loathing. "Be honest."

I brought my gaze back to him and shrugged, "I wouldn't say it's totally shot, but it hurts to put weight on it. I tried to walk on it earlier with no luck."

"Gotcha," he sighed. He scanned my leg quickly before adding, "Well, can't leave ya here."

I didn't respond and instead just sat there. I didn't have a grand plan as to what we were going to do. I figured he'd just go to the infirmary and grab a wheelchair or something. It seemed logical enough to me. But, logic didn't seem to outweigh whatever it was that coursed through his head. You know, the brilliance of an irrational guy.

Before long, Jean got to work, pulling his bag to the front of his body and securing both straps over his shoulders. He then rose to his feet, reaching out a hand to me, those bronzy irises of his still locked on me, leaving me baffled.

"Umm, whatcha doin'?" I asked, lifting a brow.

"Trying to help you up. Now, give me your hand," he replied sternly.

I blinked rapidly, glancing around, continuing, "U-uh. Okay."

I took hold of his hand, the feeling of his warm fingers encasing mine sending shivers down my spine. I couldn't explain it, but I had never felt those types of chills before. They weren't the type you experienced while watching a horror movie or being near someone that gave off bad vibes. In fact, they sent a wave of adrenaline pumping through me, my heart rate increasing as electricity ran from the crown of my head to soles of my feet. It was a light sensation that took me off guard.

He pulled me to my feet -well, foot as I placed all my weight on my able appendage, keeping my injured one off the ground. He helped to steady me, making sure I didn't tumble back down as I helplessly stood there. I felt like an idiot who didn't know how to stand on her own two feet, but it wasn't like I could help it. Well, had I been more aware then I wouldn't have ended up in that position. But, that was the story of my life.

"Got it?" he asked, hesitantly releasing my hand.

I nodded, "Yeah."

"Good," he said. He then turned around, leaving his back to me and ordered, "Alright. Hop on."

I was taken off guard with that, knitting my brows together. What...what the hell? Hop on? Hop on what?? I just stared at his back, my oblivious mind racing until it clicked. Oh, I think not. He wanted me to climb onto his back as if I was some child who needed to be carried. Of course, I was not up for that.

"I can try to walk," I swallowed. "You don't need to carry me."

Keeping his back to me, he turned his head towards my direction and huffed, "Listen. It's cold and you're hurt. You've already said you can't walk. So, just climb on and I'll carry ya to the infirmary."

Panic washed over me as I rushed, "No! No infirmary." I calmed down, lowering my voice, adding, "Okay. I'll let you carry me...just...just no infirmary. Okay?"

I caught a glimpse of him raising a brow before turning back to face away, sighing, "Fine. Whatever. Just climb on already."

I did as he ordered, hobbling over to him. I gripped onto his shoulders and straddled my legs around his waist as he tucked his arms behind my knees. I rested my weight against him, allowing him to lift me up off the ground. I didn't know what to think at that moment, but something did catch my attention. The smell of his cologne blowing through the breeze.

**Ello, ello my sweet lovelies. I hope y'all are doing excellent on this fine day. I also hope y'all enjoyed this chapter. If so, then y'all know the drill! As always, thank you soooooo much for everything! You guys are all amazing! Wove yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. Lol random chapter name, I know.