Chapter 16

Ok, so I just realised that my laptops been doing a thing, so I don't know if, when you're reading my book, you are able to read it with the lines all, well, lined up. Message me if it looks like a weird mess of print on the page with nothing seemingly lining up and I will try to figure out how to change that. Also, sorry for the late update, school has just been, well... school. Anyway, cei la vie

At his whispered words, Lizzy felt her belly warm and her cheeks heat until she realised the true intent of his words filtered into her passion filled brain and felt her face burn hotter at her lack of control, especially at such a critical moment.

At least their disappearance to some unknown location in the house won't be questioned.

"We need to get upstairs, that's were his office is." Elizabeth whispered in his ear, hoping like heck that it looked more salacious than it actually was.         "I thought the study was on the ground floor? Why would he have another one on a different floor."                                                                                                 "Because he's smarter than he looks. The study on the ground floor is for every day work, and the upstairs office is for confidential information." As they began to slowly pull away from each other Elizabeth looked into Michael's eyes and knew that their moment, for the time being, was over, or at least paused. They both moved through the crowd and Elizabeth moved in front of Michael, holding his hand in hers, gently tugging. With a slight giggle, she nibbled her bottom lip, hoping that she looked believable when she was starting to feel self-conscious, a little bit fearful, and more than a little bit silly.

How on earth is she supposed to pull this off when she can feel the glares of every female in the room?

Then Elizabeth saw a scantily clad woman step forward, looking not unlike a lioness about to tackle a poor, unsuspecting gazelle. Except her prey was a little bigger, and a lot more unavailable for the taking. At the look on the woman's face Elizabeth had an idea that would not only send a clear cut message for all of the women to back off, it would also cement the illusion of what they would be doing once they got upstairs. After all, she had to do whatever it took to ensure the success of this mission.

Just keep telling yourself that it's all for the mission, Elizabeth. Maybe you will even start to believe it.

Telling her subconscious to shut it, Elizabeth stepped back into Michael's warmth, released her hold on his hand and then placed both of her arms around his shoulders as his hands settled on her hips and pulled her inconceivably closer. Elizabeth couldn't contain her shiver of delight when he leaned down and began to softly kiss the tender base of her throat. Despite the fact that this was supposed to just be for show, Elizabeth still went breathless with delight as he showered her with gentle, soft kisses, each with its own flicker of warmth. When he pulled back, she almost groaned in disappointment until he kissed her, his lips demanding. She felt a smouldering heat deep within her as Michael's grip tightened, crushing her body to his, somehow managing to be gentle yet firm. Raising one of his hands to cup her face, he slanted her head, further deepening the kiss.

Even though Elizabeth didn't want to stop, almost couldn't remember the reason why she should stop, she somehow managed to find the strength to pull away from the warm pressure of his lips. Even though they were both out of breath, Elizabeth said,                                                                                             "We should head upstairs."

"Yeah, we should."

Even though everything had all been for show, Elizabeth still felt a nearly overwhelming sense of satisfaction at the fact that she had successfully driven away any woman present who had been entertaining the idea of trying to take Michael away from her. As they made their way upstairs, Elizabeth found herself wondering how much of their little show had been faked, and how much of it was real.