Chapter 10

Sighing in exacerbation, Lizzy looked at Cade, who looked curiously annoyed, and asked,
"Cade, do we really have to do this right now?"

"Yes!"
"Really? This discussion can't wait until after we've gotten my daughter back?"

"No, it can't."

"And why not? I would think that Ava's life, the life of your niece, my daughter, would take precedence over your curiosity into my sex life, Cade."

Let's see him try to work around that one!

At that Cade paused, thinking over what she said before deciding, "If you tell me now, then we can get on with calling in the rest of my team and then we can put together a rescue plan."

Excuse me? Did he just say what I think he just said?

As she thought over what he said, she was unable to believe that he would actually try to leverage her daughter's life for information that is not relevant at the moment. And as she pondered over what on earth could be going on with her brother, Lizzy tried to think of a way to postpone the inevitable when her thoughts were interrupted,
"And the longer that you wait to tell me, the longer that Ava will be missing. If you just tell me who the father is then we can get to work."
What has gotten into him? He is never this irrational

"You would really try to leverage my daughter's life so that you can find out a piece of information that is of no consequence and has no relevance? Why does it matter to you so much who the father is, Cade? Why do you have to know, what is so important about who the father of my child is when there is a hell of a lot more important things at stake, like, say, the life of my daughter, my child?"

Lizzy, no matter how hard she tried, couldn't figure out what Cade was thinking. It seemed so illogical, even for him, to pursue a piece of information that has no bearing on the current situation at the expense of another person, a child. Lizzy found herself clenching her fists to resist the sudden powerful urge to deck her brother.

"Because I am your older brother! Some guy gets you pregnant and I would like to have the ability to track the bastard down and beat him to a bloody pulp. I might even be inclined to introduce him to my personal explosives collection."

Needing to do something with her hands to stop herself from striking her brother, she pressed her fingers into the bridge of her nose, then Lizzy asked,
"Is the answer really so hard for you to figure out, Cade? I would have thought that the answer was obvious."

"Why would it be obvious to me who the father of your child is, in case you have forgotten, I have not been a part of your life in nearly a decade. I don't even know how old she is!"

He really is this thick, isn't he? How on earth is he able to work on ops, in life and death situations, and not be able to deduct to the obvious truth?

"I know that solving mysteries has never been your strong suit Cade but really? Let me spell it out for you. You know that I was in love with Mike eight years ago, for a very long time. After finally being able to be in a relationship with him, after having spent the best damn year of my life with him, why would I have suddenly decided to shack up with some random guy just a few months into my prison sentence? Or at all, for that matter?"

Cade looked her dead in the eye and said warningly, a hint of realisation finally flickering in his eyes,

"What are you saying, Lizzy?"