1.4 - Allen Reid

ARC 1: ALLEN REID
Chapter Four

• • • • •

This is Allen's first world, literally his first hop after he died but he's already being given so much work.

Yes, fixing his target is such a troublesome job to do. He doesn't understand why Carl is extremely irritated with his destined partner even after spying at them. Thinking and analyzing about it is also not something he wanted to do. Using any more of his brain cells would just probably make him tired.

He'll save it for when he really needed to.

For now...

Friday was completely different from Thursday. The entire depressed aura of Carl seemed to seep in every crevices of the shop. There were only a few customers that even dared step inside. He had already gotten rid of his employee by having him at the back, unseen so as to not further affect the business.

But he knew that Carl still wasn't in his cheery mood.

He sighed. It was still three hours before the usual delivery time and four hours before closing time but seeing as it is useless to continue opening at the moment, he closed the shop earlier than usual.

He then went to the back and saw the doom surrounding his employee and lightly shook his head. He took the bouquet of roses for the day and walked out of there.

"Boss?" he heard Carl ask in confusion. He looked back at him and saw that he was staring at him and the roses he had on his hands in obvious apprehension. He wanted to raise his eyebrow but feels like it's too much trouble.

Delivering the roses is too much trouble and if he could, he would not do it regardless of his fond feelings for the other. But his current identity isn't like that of his. Allen may be a quiet man and does not like moving much out of his comfort zone, but he is kind. In this situation, he would definitely help his employee just to cheer him up.

This OOC thing is such a pain, he thought to himself. When he's done, he'd tell the system to look for an identity that has somewhat of a similar personality as his.

Hopefully, that would prevent any unpleasant transmigration to a cheerful body. He shivered at that thought. That OOC thing would be a nightmare.

"Watch the shop," he said to the confused Carl. He pulled off his apron of his body and hung it on its stand before taking the folder where the receiver should sign before walking towards the truck and driving it out of there.

He would be the one to deliver the roses today.

He saw at the mirror of the car how messy his long black, curly hair is even when in a ponytail. He did not care enough to tidy it up. He only fixed his bangs a bit so that it did not obstruct his vision that much. At least his clothes are clean and proper.

He did not say anything as he continued driving in a leisure pace. The address where the flowers were supposed to be delivered was just a 30 minute ride from the shop but the traffic flow wasn't that smooth so he only arrived at the place in almost an hour from the time he left.

He parked the car and locked it after leaving before going inside the company. With the roses in hands, it wasn't really a wonder that he got some attention from the people around. He did not care about them as he faced the receptionist.

"Bouquet of flowers for Evan Vermillion," he said while giving his own identification card.

The receptionist stared at him for a couple of seconds before giving him a visitor's ID. "Please go to the top floor," she politely pointed out with a professional smile. Nodding, he walked towards the elevator and pressed the highest number that was there, which was 24.

That was how tall the building of this company is.

It took him some time before he finally reached the top. Calmly and unhurriedly, he walked towards the secretary. She took one look at the flowers he was holding, then at his face before speaking.

"Good afternoon sir. Different deliverer?" she inquired in interest.

"Busy." He did not elaborate further. It's not as if she had to know Carl's whereabouts. As far as he knows, they weren't really friends. More like acquaintances ever since he started delivering there. She looked at him weirdly. He's used to that look though so did not booths that much about it.

"Oh," she only responded. There was an awkward silence in the air after that until she finally broke it by pointing him towards the direction where he should deliver the flowers. He gave a light nod in thanks.

Of course he knows the way already. He had been spying and looking at Carl's entire movement while he was delivering, but it's common sense for someone who has never set foot inside this company before to not know the way. Hence, the asking of directions.

Upon standing in front of the very door Carl had been in before, he immediately knocked three times. The same way and pattern as his employee. There was a couple seconds of pause before someone spoke from inside.

"Come in."

Seeing as he already got permission to enter, he did. There were two people inside the office. One was the other person he'd been spying on, namely Evan Vermillion, while the other he currently did not know.

I should have monitored him while coming here, he thought.

Evan looked surprised to see him. Probably because he's not Carl. The two people did not speak though,neither did he. Instead, he only placed the flower on the other's desk and placed the folder in front of the man.

"Please sign," he said while observing the other. Evan looked a little displeased as he reached for the folder he had given.

"Where's Carlos?" Evan asked. He could not help raising his eyebrow at the blatant question. Not to mention he even used his employee's first name so familiarly, as if they are close with each other.

Do they know each other before the flower delivery? He asked himself. But remembering the lack of red string on Carl's hand before he first delivered the flowers negated that thought.

Or perhaps I still am missing some important details about the appearance of this red string of fate? What did the system tell me before? He's going to review the information forcefully fed by his system in the privacy of his room later.

"Busy," was his answer. Although this man is Carl's destined partner, they currently aren't even friends. He's not about to tell him anything.

Maybe I should be lenient? So they could be together sooner? His forehead creased after thinking that.

Why was his job match making again? Did system every told him the reason? Because he is not a person expert in this aspect. He had never even been in a relationship back when he was alive. How was he supposed to effectively match make?

[Failure of mission will result to punishment based on your deepest fear.]

Back when he was alive, while he is still Calvin, he's always been extremely lazy. If he wasn't born in a rather wealthy family and wasn't smart, he'd probably be dead sooner. Due to this, he doesn't know his fears that much side from the rather obvious ones like not being able to relax.

The reason he's doing this jobs even though he'd rather not to was because of the unknown factor.

He did not know his deepest fear. That means, when punishment comes, he won't know what to expect. He won't be able to prepare.

That fact doesn't sit well with him. That's why he is making at least an effort. That way, he could delay the inevitable punishment of his failure. Because he knows that he'd fail sooner or later.

He just has to know what is his deepest fear.

Even narrowed his eyes at him, pen hovering over the paper he is supposed to sign.

"What are you to him?" There was a light growl in the tone of the other. His frown became even more pronounced.

"None of your business," he curtly stated.

Now, Allen could somewhat understand why Carl became annoyed with this person in just the first greeting.

TBC.