Chapter Fifteen- 7:01

Kayla

*TWO MONTHS LATER*

"Come back with me," I pleaded with a puppy dog face.

Jake only laughed at me and shook his head. "We've been over this, I can't go to school and work on my music."

I shoved my last bag into the trunk and frowned. Now was the time I would have to face everyone again. Part of me was excited for Paris,--which was in less than a week--but another part of me wanted to hide behind Jake for the rest of the year. I can only imagine the rumors and the looks I'll get, and it wasn't pretty.

"You have to come visit me, a lot."

We got in the front seats of the car, Jake driving and me in the passenger seat, as Jake took my hands in his. "I promise I will."

I leaned over and gave him a small kiss on the lips. Jake smiled and started the car. The roar of the engine covered my sigh of distress.

The ride to campus seemed like it went by way too fast. I wasn't ready to step out of the car and face everyone. I wasn't ready for the reminders or anxiety attacks I knew I would face. I wasn't ready to leave Jake's side.

Only one more right and two more lefts until we would reach our destination. The car felt like it was moving past the speed limit because of how fast the drive went by.

"Jake, you're speeding slow down," I said while keeping my eyes glued to the road.

I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my head. "No I'm not. I'm actually under the speed limit."

Believe it or not, he actually was below the 25 miles per hour speed limit. The car went down to 15 miles per hour, then 10, and then zero.

We were pulled over on the side of the road with Jake just staring at my still body. "Kayla are you alright?"

I shook my head no and leaned over to hug Jake. Tears starting forming in my eyes, but I knew I couldn't cry. I couldn't give everyone another reason to talk about me and start rumors.

"What's wrong baby? You can tell me anything."

I pulled away from Jake to blink away my tears. "I don't want stares, and whispers, and rumors, and attention. Everyone is going to remind me about it and talk about me."

Jake shook his head and clicked his tongue while saying, "Kayla, Kayla, Kayla." He reached over and grabbed my hands. "You are so much stronger than this, than them. People talk, and stare, and whisper, but you just have to ignore them. I'm just a phone call away if you ever need me or want to come home, okay?"

Hesitantly, I agreed. "When I go to Paris I can always get the first flight home. I can do this."

His hand ruffled my hair, but it wasn't annoying like when Kyle did it. "That's my girl."

The speed of the car started to rise again as we took the last few turns to campus. We pulled in and I walked out of the car with confidence. The stares and whispers came right away, but all I had to do was ignore them, just like Jake said to.

"Let's get moved in!"

***

As soon as I walked through the door of my dorm I was greeted by both of my roommates.

"Kayla!" They both yelled at the same time--which I have to admit was kind of creepy.

I almost fell over from the force of their hugs. Let's not forget all of the pounds Violet gained from the baby too. My eyes couldn't be taken off of the size of Violets stomach, she was huge!