Chapter Twenty One- I'm Alright

Kayla

My whole top was covered in puke. Just seeing Brenden puke made me want to puke.

"Kayla, I'm so sorry!" Violet said while rushing over to me. She grabbed Brenden and took him into the kitchen for a glass of water and some crackers.

Charlotte led me to the bathroom and told me to take a quick shower before we start the movies.

I don't know why, but as soon as the rushing water hit me, I started to sob. I cried about my puke covered shirt, I cried about how there was no more warm water in the shower, I cried about everything. Especially Jake. How could I have screwed up so badly? This was all my fault and I didn't know how to fix it. I didn't know if I could fix it at all.

The next thing I knew, I was singing Jake's music.

"I've got life, I've got love, I've got faith and that's enough.

We feel sorrow, we feel pain, but there's sunshine after rain.

So I'm alright."

This rain storm felt everlasting, but soon enough the sunlight will peak through. I tried to crack a smile at my reflection in the mirror, but it wasn't pretty. With a sigh I grabbed a new set of clothes and joined my roommates for chick flicks and candy.

Every single movie we watched always ended up happy, and both people are in love and together. It's so frustrating because real life isn't like that. I knew Jake wouldn't take me back. I didn't even want him to take me back after what I did to him. Part of me thought I needed to start moving on from him, but the more bossy part of me didn't want to. As cheesy as it sounds, I thought he was the one for me. I just can't see myself loving someone else the way I love Jake.

Jake

Everything inside of me was numb. I felt like all of this was my fault. I could've gone to Paris with Kayla, I could've been there for her. I should've been there for her. Her kissing another guy is like an awakening for me. I haven't been there for her as much as I should've and I know I need to do more now.

The only thing holding me back from running across to her house right this second was that she said she felt something when she kissed him. The only thing I can do is wait for her to be ready to forgive herself.

I was sitting on my bed staring off into space when Jenny came into my room. She went straight to my desk and started to move a bunch of things around.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

She jumped at the sound of my voice. "I was just looking for something," she looked at me with a strange look and I could tell she knew something was up. "What happened?" She took a seat on my bed with me.

I didn't want to say the words out loud because that would make them true. It took everything I had to say, "Kayla and I just broke up." 

Jenny was definitely surprised to say the least. "Why? You guys were so good for each other!"

"While she was in Paris she kissed another guy that she had feelings for."

"I'm really sorry, but think about it, she left the other guy all the way on the other side of the ocean to be with you right after it happened. Doesn't that say anything?" Jenny always had the best points. "I don't blame you if you aren't ready to forgive her yet, but this shouldn't be the end of Jayla!"

"Jayla? Did you really make a ship name for us?"

She rolled her eyes and patted me on the back, "You'll make the right decision."

I gave her a smile and she walked out of the room, leaving me to fend for myself.

***

The next day felt so boring. I didn't have anything to do or anyone to hang out with. The only person I wanted to see was Kayla. In the middle of the afternoon I decided to make some music. All of the lyrics I came up with were too depressing, so I just stuck to the beats and instruments for a while.

I guess my music was a little bit loud. It didn't take long for Kayla to step out onto her balcony. She didn't say anything, she just stared at me and listened.

"What if you had a little of an acoustic sound? Like soft guitar playing for the chorus or something."

I looked over at her and flipped a few switches and dials. "Is this better?"

She nodded and kept listening. "You know we make a good team."

Something seemed weird. I still cracked a small smile and replied, "Yeah we do."

I turned off the music and shut the balcony doors. I wasn't ready to talk to her like this yet. Some sleep and a little more time and maybe I'll be ready again.

Kayla

I sat in my room all day. There was nothing I wanted to do except be with Jake. It wasn't until later that night that I heard the familiar sound of music coming from Jake's room. I opened the balcony door and leaned against the railing.

I couldn't help it, I missed listening to Jake's music. He'd usually play me new songs and I'd give him feedback on them. The one he was playing now sounded like a fun upbeat song, but I thought he should have a little more of a personal part in the song that was slowed down and raw.

"What if you had a little of an acoustic sound? Like soft guitar playing for the chorus or something."

He didn't look up at me, but he changed a few things and asked, "Is this better?"

I nodded my head and continued to listen. It sounded perfect. "You know we make a good team." I didn't realize what came out of my mouth until after I said it. I couldn't change what I said now, so I just went with it.

"Yeah we do," he said. There was a small smile on his lips, but it looked forced.

The music stopped and his balcony doors shut. A sigh escaped from me as I headed to bed.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey guys! I know it's a little on the shorter side and not very eventful but I've had writers block and tons of summer work for school. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'm sorry it took so long to write.

Thank you guys so much for putting up with my updates and continuing to read this story, it means a lot to me!

I got to see Jake in concert the other night and It was soo much fun! I got to meet him too and it was an amazing experience. Have any of you guys met him or saw him on his tour this year or any year really? Comment or Kik me or message me and we can talk about Jake (:

The song (either up top on a phone or on the side for a computer) is Little Do You Know  by Alex and Sierra and I just thought it went really well with this chapter. Also, it's my favorite song right now so give it a listen because it's really cute!

Enjoy the rest of your summer (:

-Megan