Chapter Twenty- Fate

Jake

As soon as Kayla got off of the plane there was a terrible feeling in my chest. I didn't know if her tears were tears of joy or tears of sadness. Either way I hugged her with all I had.

"Why are you crying?" I asked while I stroked her hair and tried to put her at ease.

She buried her head into my chest and shook her head. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to."

"Didn't mean to what?" My heart was suspended in my chest, getting ready to drop and break into a million pieces.

Kayla took a step back. Her voice sounded broken and ashamed, maybe even a little scared. "I kissed someone else."

I didn't know what to think or what to feel. I was disappointed and upset, but it's not like I wanted to end things with Kayla. What she did wasn't okay though.

"We can talk about this at home, okay?" She nodded and wiped away her tears. I took one of her bags and slung an arm around her shoulder.

The whole car ride home was dead silent and extremely awkward. My mind raced with thousands of things to say, but my vocal cords were shot. All I could think about was what was going to happen next. I can't just forgive her and act like it never happened.

I put the car in park when we arrived at Kayla's house. Neither one of us made a move to leave.

"Please say something," Kayla begged, "anything."

"I don't know what to say." I created a silent barrier for a good minute or two. Right when Kayla was about to walk out of the car the question came to me. "Why'd you do it?"

She faced me for a split second before looking down at her shoes. "It just kind of happened. He initiated it, but I responded. It was tempting and different and I don't know I just did it."

"Did you feel something when you kissed him?"

Her answer was faint, but I heard it loud and clear.

"Yes." A tear ran down her face. I know she didn't want to feel anything, but she did.

"I think we need a break," I said as my heart finally shattered.

She nodded her head and opened the car door. "I'm so sorry, Jake." Were the last words I heard her say for a long time.

"Me too," I whispered. The car door shut, then Kayla's front door shut, and then my heart shut.

***

Kayla

***

Theres going to come a day when the person you love and care most about will drift away. It will seem like you are trudging helplessly throughout the rest of the world because life can't continue without them, but time never stops. Everything inside of you will be empty, and you will want one more something, anything from that person. My greatest fear, my greatest nightmare, is coming across that day. The day when every feature you had, and every word you ever said, will only be a memory that burns and aches to think about.

Today is that day.

My bed is filled with tissues and tears while the only thing I'm filled with is despair. There were so many different choices I could've made. Choices that wouldn't have left me with a fate like this.

I know he said "take a break," but everyone knows that that means done forever. It's hard to fathom, how much love I have for Jake and how much love he has for me, and still it can just be forgotten about by one stupid decision.

"Kayla! You have company!" Mom yelled from downstairs.

"Tell them to go away!"

My door shot open, revealing three comforting faces.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Violet placed Brenden in my lap while her and Charlotte sat on either side of me. "To cheer you up! You need a girls day."

Charlottes arms were full of chick flicks and bags of candy (ice cream was too cliché for me.) I pulled out The Last Song and the bag full of sour skittles. Maybe a girls day was just what I needed.

"Wait," I realized, "if this is a girls day then what's Brenden doing here?"

Violet jumped up. "I almost forgot! Brenden say hi to auntie Kayla!"

He looked up at me with big joyful eyes and said in the cutest voice ever, "Hi awntie Kayaa!"

My heart clenched and I actually smiled. I pinched his cheeks and kissed them. "Hi Brenden!"

He laughed back at me before making a funny face. It turns out, that face was his puking face.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter isn't very long I had some trouble writing it.

I hope you all have a happy Easter/Passover/Spring Break!

Sorry about Jayla): I'll miss them too.

Update by Tuesday maybe¿?

P.S. CHECK OUT THE DAZED AND CONFUSED MUSIC VIDEO IT'S SO GOOD AND HERE'S THE LINK((::

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Nh0rLS9yg

~Megan