Chapter Seven- Goodnight Jake

Kayla

It was two a.m. when I got the call from Alec that made my heart fall to the ground and shatter into a million pieces. His raw and cracked voice kept playing in my ear, "'Kayla, I need you.'"

I grabbed a jacket and ran out the door faster than I ever had before. He told me to meet him at the bench that was outside his dorm building.

His voice showed evident signs of crying, and I'd never seen Alec cry. It was almost as if I was scared to see him cry. Someone as cheery and positive as him comes across as someone who rarely sheds a tear.

My feet brought me to the bench where I found Alec. He was hunched over in his black leather jacket and sweatpants. His hair looked rustled and messy from his hands pulling on it. But worst of all, his face was tear streaked and red.

He surprised me when he stood up to give me a long and comforting hug. "Do you want to talk about what happened?" I said softly into his ear.

"In a minute." He mumbled back, nestling his face into me.

Every bone in my body was screaming that something was seriously wrong. It made my heart rate quicken and I frozen shock over take my body.

"I really think we need to talk now." I tried to say as politely as I could.

To much avail, he nodded and sat back down on the bench. I waited patiently for him to speak up.

"They--they left me."

"Who did?"

He took a deep breath, "My mom and dad they left."

My face twisted into one of confusion, "What do you--"

"They left," He interrupted a little louder. "They died, they're gone. They left." His voice cracked when he said the last part.

I wiped his streaming tears and pulled him into a hug. "I'm so sorry." I whispered delicately.

"What happened?" I asked. I knew that he needed to get this out of his system.

He pulled away from my hug and shook his head in a disapproving way. "They got in a car accident with a drunk driver. Now they're gone."

Hearing the hurt in Alec's voice made me grateful that my dad had come back. Full of memories or not, he's still here. And that's all that should matter.

It wasn't that I was changing the topic to me--because I had a tendency to do that--but I wanted him to know he wasn't alone. "My dad was in the Military, and he was MIA for almost all of my life. There was always this agonizing pull on me that one day he would show up. It was painful to wait everyday, and wonder if he was still here on this Earth."

"Did they ever find him?" Alec asked.

I nodded with a smile. "Yeah. I wouldn't say everything was okay, but he's back at home now."

"But that's not the point," I continued, "I just wanted to let you know that I understand the feeling you have of loss. It seems like it won't go away, but it will. Soon you will be able to accept that they moved onto a better place."

"Thanks Kayla." He said with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. I knew he wasn't convinced, but it's something you have to learn on your own.

"Hey," He said again, "Would you want to stay with me tonight?"

"Sure, Alec." I smiled.

We walked hand-in-hand back to his room. I shot Violet a text saying that I was at Alec's, for when she woke up in the morning.