Chapter Two- The Bliss of a Kiss

Kayla

"Okay." My voice was barley a whisper, so many thoughts ran through my head. Jake was so unpredictable sometimes, but I had a feeling that I knew what he was going to say.

His hand was removed from mine and he took a deep breath. Oh gosh. No Jake, no you don't have to say it. You don't have to say anything.

"I'm just going to come out and say it." Even though I didn't want to, I nodded anyways. "I like you, Kayla. I can't stop thinking about you or get you out of my lyrics. I still like you, heck, I never stopped."

And there it is. The moment I was waiting for, yet dreading to hear. When I thought the rest of lunch would be an awkward and silent stare down, Jake spoke again.

"You don't have to say anything. I just wanted to tell you, I needed to."

What am I supposed to do? If I say I like him back then I'm disregarding Alec. If I say I don't like him I hurt his feelings. I don't even know what to feel right now.

I placed down my butter sandwich and closed my eyes. "There's something you should know."

I swear I was going to tell him about Alec. The words were on the tip of my tongue, but the way his eyes were looking at me. I just couldn't bring myself to tell him.

My mind frantically searched for what to say. Something, anything.

"Um Kyle wants you to tell Jenny he says hi."

By the look he was giving me, he knew I was lying. Or maybe he didn't, but he chose to let it go.

He nodded and smiled, "Okay. I will."

I wanted to respond to what he said earlier. I just didn't know how. All of my thoughts of what I wanted started turning into doubts. Was Alec really what I wanted? Was I only guilty because of Jake's expectant look?

"Okay, I know I said you didn't have to respond to what I said earlier, but I need to know one thing."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded for him to continue. This time I couldn't make up excuses. This time I had to answer him.

"You can't look me in the eyes, and tell me, that you haven't missed me or even thought about me the slightest bit over the past year."

He's right, I can't. I have missed him and thought about him. But I can't tell him. Not right now at least.

Shaking my head I said, "Jake, we can only be friends."

"That's not what I asked you. Answer my question."

Same, stubborn Jake.

"I haven't missed you or thought about you for the past year." I said. I was expecting his brown eyes to drain of emotion, but they didn't.

His head titled back and he started laughing. "Kayla, you are such a liar."

***

"What am I going to do?" Violet and Charlotte watched me pace back and forth around the dorm.

"You have to tell Alec." Charlotte demanded.

Violet gave her a crazy look. "That's a horrible idea, she should not tell Alec!"

"Guys. Not helping." My pacing stopped and I collapsed onto my bed. "Why did I even agree to go to that stupid lunch anyways?"

"You did think Jenny was going to be there too." Charlotte remarked.