Chapter Ten- Letting Go For Us

Kayla

"Get up! Get up! Get up!"

I grabbed my blankets and tugged them over my whole body to avoid the world. Then I topped it off with my pillows, just for extra measures.

"Get out Jake," I grumbled from under my pillows and blankets.

He approached my bed and sat down on it. The mattress dipped and I sighed.

"Come on Kayla. You've been hauled up in your room for weeks. You're going to have to go back to school soon anyways. Plus, you're going to Paris in a few months! You need to start living your life again."

I peeked out from my personal fort and said, "Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need a freaking life coach."

"You freaking do, you pain in my ass. Come on we're going out!" Jake finalized while patting my back and leaving the room so I could change.

My tank top became an oversized sweatshirt that I stole from my brother Kyle. My shorts that are too short to wear out in public became sweatpants that were Jake's merchandise. My knotted hair became a messy bun, which was still knotty. The biggest shocker of all; no makeup. Just kidding, I was exactly like this back at college before he came along.

Purposely, I trudged down the steps. My mother and father were at work, leaving just Jake and me.

"You're kidding me, right? It's one hundred degrees out Kayla! I really thought you could do it, but I guess I'm dressing you. The sweats were a nice try though." Jake winked after he said the last part.

He grabbed my hand and dragged me back upstairs to my room. "Strip!" He yelled.

I smacked him on his arm, resulting in a laugh from him. At this point, I didn't mind how Jake saw me. I removed the sweatshirt and sweatpants while he picked out my outfit.

And before you go calling me a slut, I was wearing a tank top under my sweatshirt, so shut up.

I was uncaring and comfortable, but Jake was a different story. When he turned towards me to hand me my clothes, his cheeks were tinted red. He handed me a pair of jean shorts and a white flowing tank top.

"Your hair too." He said, avoiding my eyes.

"Enlighten me, what's wrong with me hair?" I shot back.

He shook his head. "Kayla, we've been over this. Stop being an ass. I'm trying to help you, so if you could be a little less sarcastic and aggravating to me I would appreciate it."

That shut me up. Because he was right. Jake was one hundred percent right by calling me an ass and aggravating. He was trying so hard to help me when I needed it, but I kept fighting him.

I put on the clothes and took my hair out of the bun. It took awhile to brush it because of all the knots. My hair ended up in a pony tail, but it still looked better than having it in a bun.

"Makeup or contacts?" Jake asked.

Being filled with guilt made me answer, "Both."

He seemed confused, but then he gave me that award winning smile that I've always loved. For a slight second, I joined him smiling, but it fell as soon as it came.

My contacts were in and my minimum makeup was done about ten minutes later.

"So where are you taking me?" I asked.

"I thought we could just walk around town and stop anywhere you wanted to go. For food or clothes, anything really." Jake explained.

"Okay." I agreed.