Days Without Your Love (A Jake Miller Fan Fiction)

Kayla

"I love you," he said, grabbing my hand in his and bringing it closer to him, "I love your smile, the sparkle in your eyes, how your face lights up at the slightest things, and I love the spark I get when I'm around you."

My heart melted at his words. I weighed the options of saying it back or not. Jake crossed my mind--no stayed glued into my mind. But still I answered with, "I love you too."

The smile that overtook Alec's face made me believe myself too. For the first time in a long time, I was able to smile back, and actually mean it.

He rose my hand into the air and shouted, "She loves me! Kayla loves me!" Then he picked me up and spun me around.

Everything around me was blurry and hard to read, but the clearness of Alec and this moment was perfect. I felt like everything was okay.

A bubbly laugh escaped my mouth, and he laughed back as the other students on campus just stared. For once the attention wasn't bothersome to me. It was just me and Alec in our own little universe.

***

"Wow," Violet said as I walked into the dorm room, "You seem extremely happy. Spill."

I closed the door and pressed my back against it with a sigh. "Alec loves me. He said he loves me."

"I thought you pretty much knew that already?" She asked, looking confused.

"Yeah," I said, "But I said it back."

She smiled and embraced me into a bone-crushing hug. "I'm happy for you Kayla. Congrats on finally doing something for yourself."

"Thanks, but you're crushing me V." I chocked out and tried to break away. She released her death grip and I fell back onto the bed. "Where's Charlotte?"

"Library." We both said at the same time. She pretty much lived there. I like books too, but I couldn't handle so much time of silence.

Violet made her way over to the bed and sat down next to me. "So did Alec kiss you?"

I shook my head, "No. But I'm okay with it."

"So he can tell you he loves you, but he can't kiss you?"

"It's complicated." I sighed. She knew to just leave it at that.

Alec and I have been best friends since college started. We were both going into filming and editing as our futures, so we had some classes together. Today, at the fountain in the middle of campus, he told me he loved me. I could kind of already tell, but he actually confirmed my thoughts.

The dreams I use to have about Jake were slowly vanishing. It's been a whole month since I've had one, and he barely crosses my mind. Except for today, when I was deciding whether or not I loved Alec, but for some reason it didn't seem like it meant anything.

What I find most surprising is how Jake never kept in contact with me. No texting, calling, visiting, nothing. Not even as a friend. Maybe I was expecting too much with his busy touring life, but I was disappointed that he seemed to forget about me.

All of that doesn't matter anymore though, because Alec is my new priority. Jake lost his chance and now Alec gained his.

Jake

Goodbye to the memories
Goodbye to the dream
Didn't know I'd have to find my way back
Can I just let this be.

"Jake, I swear your lyrics get more and more depressing everyday." Edgar said, looking over my shoulder at my lyrics.