Escape (Analogical)

Start from the beginning

"Nerd..." A voice spoke from behind him. It wasn't one he recognised, so it was either someone Roman had asked to talk to him, or it was the new kid. He knew it was foolish to get his hopes up, but he wanted it to be Virgil, because he wanted a friend.

He spun around, and looked at the male face to face. "I have a name." He pushed his galsses up, and sighed. He knew it was pointless, no one remembered his name, he was just 'Nerd' to everyone.

Virgil smirked at him, and looked him up and down. "Oh yeah? I'd say Nerd suits you quite well."

"What do you want? You guys are all the same, so if you came to mock me, just go away, I have somewhere to be."

"Where? Home? To do your homework? Like a good little student."

"Yes it is home, but it is none of your business why." Logan snapped. He was starting to reach his limit with stupid people, and he didn't know why he wanted to talk to the new kid, he was just the same as Roman, and they deserved to be best friends.

"Look, I'm sorry okay? Roman said that you had no friends, and I just... I meant no harm, I'm sorry you got offended, or whatever..."

"I do not need you to apologise to me, if you are to be his friend, stay away from me, I do not need you around. I am perfectly fine alone." It was a lie, and they both knew it, but Logan also knew, the last time he let someone in, they left and it hurt more than he could ever imagine. He never much understood how people get so hurt about other people leaving, but when he lost Roman right after high school started, he began to understand that, and he didn't want to let anyone else in.

"I don't want to be his friend, he's so annoying, you seem calm, and collected, and different, I want to get to know you."

"You do not."

"Why?"

"Because I am not worth it, and I will not have you know all about me, and then leave me, so you can give Roman more stuff to hate on me for."

"If someone tells me something, I wouldn't go and tell someone ekse, that's just plain rude."

"Well, welcome to high school. Now, I have to go."

"Wait, can I get your number or something?"

Logan sighed and scribbled a number down on a piece of paper and handed it over, before walking off quickly. His dad was going to be mad.

-

Virgil sighed and watched Logan walk off. In all honesty, Virgil was about as bad at socialising as Logan was, and he'd had to do it too often, but he hoped he'd be able to stay. He wanted to finish high school with a group of people he'd grow to know, but he figured it wouldn't last. It never did.

"He's not worth it, you do know that right?" Roman's voice rang out from behind him and he had to fight to roll his eyes, and say something stupid, but he realised, if he wanted Roman to see how ridiculous he was, then he had to be at least pleasant.

"I think he is, I think you just need to get to know him." Patton spoke up before Virgil could, and Virgil sent him a look, unable to believe that Patton was standing up for Logan.

"You don't know him."

"That's the point though. Roman, you used to know him, why must you push him away now, it's clear that him being pushed down this way hurts. You and him would be together all the time, I remember wishing I had a friend like you two, and then all of a sudden, I'm in your life and he's not. It doesn't add up..."

Roman deflated slightly, and Virgil had to fight back his shock, from what he knew, Roman was above everyone else, and he cared about no one but himself.