Chapter: Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: Sock Hop (Pt. One)
{ Jessa }

When Saturday rolled around

I was ready for the dance, I just needed to have a good time and not really think about anything.

First I got the call from James saying how he'd think it's in mom's best interest to move with him, and now Mom is honestly thinking about it because she doesn't want to be a burden to me.

Then out of nowhere Wex started acting weird yesterday.

I really hope I didn't do or say anything that upset him.

At least Vale was still the same ol' monkey, I was glad I could rely on him. Although I did feel a little bad about bringing up mom to him...Last thing I wanted was for him to worry about us...he has so many other things on his plate right now.

As I drove home that afternoon I was more than a little worried about the dance though knowing that a lot of Vale's family would be in town, and I hoped that I had done enough to impress them and make enough money for the Senior community.

I pulled up to my house and sat in the car, I really needed a friend right now, I knew I couldn't call Vale since he'd more than likely be having dinner with his family before the dance.

I pulled up Wex's number and called him, it rang for a while and I was about to hangup when he finally answered.

"Hey...you busy?"

"Nah what's up pinky?" He asked.

"Wanna get ready at my place?" I asked. "I'm kinda starting to freak out about tonight."

"Don't freak out everything is going to be great...I'll grab my outfit and be over hun, do you need anything while i'm out?"

"Nah, I've got food and stuff here at the house, you hungry...I can whip something up really quick." I said as I got out of the car and let myself into the house."

"Um...whatcha got?"

"Hold on, I'm just walking in..." I admitted as I reached the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator and freezer doors. "I've got... frozen pizza and a shit load of stuff for salad."

"Yeah heat up the pizza and i'll bring something too." He said before we hung up.

I put my stuff down and washed my hands before popping the pizza into the oven and kicking my heels off.

I sat on the sofa and looked around the house, it was empty since mom was with James until the end of next week, normally she visits her friend on Saturday to play bridge and gossip.

It didn't take Wex long to get to my house and I hugged him as he walked in.

"I brought wine." He smiled cutely.

"Wine and frozen pizza." I sounded.

"I have a feeling we're going to need some alcohol to get through this evening." He said. "I've never met the Graystones."

I looked at him,"Everything okay Wex?"

"Yeah, Why?"

I shook my head, "I just feel like you've been avoiding me or something?"

He smiled and shook his head, "Just know how much you have to do...don't want to get in your way."

"You are never in my way...if anything I depend on you for a lot actually." I said as I got some glasses out for the wine. "You know honestly I think we're the backbone of the pack." I teased.

"You can said that again." He mumbled as he pour some wine into the glasses.

"I'm only joking...the pack is well off because everyone does their part, and Vale's a great Alpha so it makes our job sorta easy."