The Warning (Murderous Suitor)

Francesca Caito, the Duchess of Ferrara, was not afraid of her husband. She did not love him, and she was not submissive to him. The truth was that she hated him. She hated Vittorio with her whole heart.

 Perhaps she was simply being selfish; she had acted that way before. This was the life God had granted her, and rather than being thankful to have wealth and a title, she hated everything about her life and her home. There only two things that helped her mind: Lucrezia, her young sister-in-law; and her journal, where she could freely write all of her private thoughts. 

 It was while she was writing at her desk that Vittorio entered her chamber without so much as knocking. He didn't barge in and shout or make any loud noises. That was not his way. No, Vittorio simply walked in, and made his way to his wife's desk.

 "Well, Francesca," he began, "I suppose if I asked what you were writing, you would not tell me."

 "You are right," Francesca replied coldly. "They are my private thoughts and words, which I am to keep to myself."

 "Hmm." He nodded and walked to the other side of her desk. "A lover I have not heard about? I certainly hope that would not be the case. If it were, imagine the shame you would bring upon us."

 Francesca slammed the book shut. "You may have as many mistresses as you like, and I cannot have one lover. You are a tyrant, Vittorio. And you wonder why I do not let you into my bed at night."

 "Now, Francesca," Vittorio placed his hand down on the desk and loomed over her, "I am simply here to warn you. I know you have a lover somewhere on this estate. If, when I find him, he will be murdered, while you watch. Do not forget that."

 Vittorio turned away from his wife in apparent disgust and left the room. When he was gone, Francesca simply laughed. Let him look around for a man whom had caught her eye and aroused lust. He wouldn't find a man. He never would.