What Was Lost (Two Beasts)

A/N: This story takes place during the five-year time gap in between the third and fourth seasons of The Originals.

~~~~~~

 No vampire in with any sanity or any clue of what was lurking would dare enter that part of the country. There was a vampire who lurked in the mountains, one they called the Romanian Terror. He killed any and all vampires who dared enter his territory, and now there were whispers that there was two of them, another male vampire who just as vicious, perhaps even more so.

 One such case was when one unsuspecting vampire crept into a town one night, looking for fresh blood. He came close to breaking into a house before he was grabbed from behind and thrown into the ground.

 "Well, well. How many times am I going to have to tell people to stay out of my territory?"

 The vampire looked up at his attacker. "And who are you?"

 "You have no clue who I am? Let me explain." The attacker grabbed him by the throat and put him back on his feet. "My name is Radu. I believe I am referred to sometimes as the Romanian Terror. You see, this is my land. I am the one who takes these people's blood and strikes fear into their hearts. I am loathe to let anyone else have that job, you see."

 "What makes you think you can just claim all this for yourself?" the vampire asked.

 "Good question. I was born and raised in this land. I have lived my entire life. I claimed this place more than five hundred years ago, so I am afraid you will be the one to go. I have a companion who loves the taste of the vampire blood." Radu smiled. "You can come out, Mikael."

 A dark figure sprung out from behind one of the houses and grabbed the vampire Radu had been clutching mercilessly. It clamed its hand down over the vampire's mouth and began to drink his blood with an unbelievable amount of hunger.

 "You certainly waste no time, do you?" Radu asked, watching the scene with amusement.

 Mikael looked up at him, his entire mouth covered in blood. "Well, if you don't move as quickly as they do, they could get away. We can't have anyone stealing our territory, can we?"

 Radu smiled wickedly. "We most certainly can't."

~~~~~~

 "It works every time," Radu said as they walked through the front hall. "I intimidate, and then you attack."

 "Radu, you say that every time. I'm going to go check for letters."

 Radu watched Mikael with concern as he hurried up the stairs. He had been keeping up a correspondence with his daughter Freya, but there had been no word from her months, even though Mikael wrote her many letters.

 "Anything?" he asked when Mikael came back down, even though the look in his face said everything.

 "Nothing. I don't understand it. She wrote so many times, and then she just stopped. Do you think it's me? Maybe she heard all the stories about the Destroyer-"

 "I don't think she'd stop talking to you because she heard about things you did centuries ago because you went mad," Radu said.

 "You don't know that for sure," Mikael pointed out. "My relationship with Freya is...fragile. She loves me, but she doesn't know me, not really. I'm not the same man I was when she a little girl, and it feels like she hasn't really grasped that."

 "Do you think she would stop writing to the father she loves because of that?" Radu asked him. "I've never met her, but she sounds like a lovely woman who wants to keep in touch with her father and get to know him."