Chapter 3

"Brother, how are you?" Pete inquired.

"I am well. I didn't want to interrupt, but the rift has become very active." Zane was the commander of the patrols that guarded the ten thousand year old Mid-Continental Rift, at the bottom of Lake Superior. "The rift's gap has widened.

"Have any other changes occurred?" Pete knew Lake Superior had a delicate eco-system and that the balance was unique, making it fragile.

"No, sir, there is nothing else to report

Pete and Zane continued to discuss all that had taken place while he had been away on the mainland. Once Pete felt he had enough information, he knew his father would be waiting to be updated.

"Brother, if I may be so bold as to inquire about the girl? Will she be joining our family?" Zane cast his eyes downward in respect.

"I don't know. Everything happened so fast. All I know is she has been through a traumatic near death experience and I thought it best she rested first." Pete's face deepened with concern. He felt bad about leaving her when they first had gotten to the caves and she almost had gotten killed, so he went to check on her once more before heading off to speak with the other team members. She was knocked out cold. Pete notice her soft snores and how they sounded like she was purring. Suddenly, he felt like he was invading her privacy, and he left.

The once empty commons began to fill with family members as they gathered to report on each of their stations and welcome him home. After Pete had been briefed he stood to go meet with his father when the room fell quiet and Salmonia appeared, and she didn't look happy.

Pete beat her to the punch before she could unleash all the fire he saw in her eyes. "Sal, good you are here. I need to ask a favor of you sister." Salmonia was one of the few females in their family, and the lead scientist for the invasive species project. She was a huntress with a fiery temper that matched her flaming red hair, making her emerald green eyes look dark.

"Absolutely, long lost brother of mine..." Salmonia replied in a sarcastic sounding voice as she emerged from the pool port. Rainbows of colors reflected off her skin. Pete smiled at his beautiful sister knowing how important she was to him and this mission. He had missed his family and the serene atmosphere of the caves. She must be extremely angry if she was communicating verbally instead of telepathically.

Pete asked Sal to sit with Meranda while he caught up with all the activities and met with his father. "I need you to befriend our guest. Her name is Meranda." Pete's face changed slightly when he said Meranda's name, making Salmonia instantly aware that this girl was special to him.

"I am not a babysitter brother--my plate is full." Salmonia was responsible for the food and supplies, as well as the invasive species project.

"I know Sal, but this was an unexpected situation, and I need your assistance. Besides, I'm asking you as a favor for which I will grant a favor in return." Pete got his message across without making it a command.

"I will be glad to babysit your pet," Salmonia smiled through her gritted teeth.

"I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important, and I am fully aware of the price I will be paying. Now, on to other business–do you have anything to report?" Pete was eager to move on.

"No, did you get the supplies I needed?" Salmonia asked raising her right eyebrow emphasizing the meaning of her question.

"I did, and Zane has gone to retrieve those very supplies. We were caught in the crossfire of two storms, which is why things haven't gone as planned." Pete decided to leave the explanation at that. Sal quietly departed.