Hidden Secrets

Aunt Shanique

I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that something terrible is going on down in Atlanta. There is so much that Andie and Sharee don't know about Exotic. She has really been through some traumatic situations. She was seeing a therapist for a while but she stopped because she couldn't deal with talking about what she had been through. Her losing my sister set her back from where she had come from after watching her boyfriend Derrick Lyles kill himself.

Derrick and Exotic had been together for about a year and half. Things seemed good until Sharla came on the scene to visit one summer. I have to admit that Derrick was one nice looking guy and a lot of girls were after him, but he had eyes only for my niece. I thought that they would be together and one day marriage and babies would come later in life. All that came to a heart shattering halt.

One night Sharla managed to convince Derrick to let her come over just so that they could chill. Derrick didn't see anything wrong with it because it was Exotic's cousin. Sharla started telling him that Exotic was a virgin and that he would never get a chance with her because she was saving herself. Derrick listened intently and fell weak to her advances. They ended having sex that night, but after that night Derrick didn't want anything else to do with her. It was all about the sex. He was in love with Exotic.

Three weeks later Sharla decided to tell her that she had slept with Derrick. She actually had gotten pregnant by him but had and abortion. Exotic confronted him and asked if it were true. He didn't deny it, but he begged for her forgiveness. He tried to explain and plead his case but she wasn't hearing it. That day everything changed all because of Sharla and her scheming ways.

About a week had passed with him trying to reach out to Exotic but she ignored him. One day she got a text from Derrick that alarmed her. He told her that he was sorry and he loved her, but he could not live without her. He ended the text with a goodbye.

That day Exotic rushed over to his house because she felt that he was going to hurt himself. As soon as she got there and made it to his room, she opened the door. He looked at her with a gun pointed to his head. Before she could try to talk him out of it he pulled the trigger and blew his brains out right in front of her. After seeing that she was in a traumatized state. For weeks Exotic wouldn't sleep, eat, or talk to anyone. She even stopped dancing for a while.

Her mom and I got her to talk to a therapist for a while and she seemed fine, but you could tell that she was still having issues. After that horrific experience the biggest tradgey of them all was her watching my sister getting gunned down.

This really put her in a bad place in which she didn't want to talk to a therapist at all. She closed off and tried to act as everything was fine but really it wasn't and to this very day it still isn't. My niece needs to really talk to a therapist because all the hurt and pain that she has gone through has turned in to so much anger and animosity.

I can feel it in my heart that my niece is in trouble. She is going through an ordeal and I fear that eventually she is going to do something like trying to committ suicide. I pray for her mental and emotional health because she is broken and there is only so much a person can take before they give up and throw in the towel.

I am planning on going down to Atlanta in a couple weeks because I know that she needs me. I was so engrossed in my thoughts I didn't realize my phone was ringing until I looked at the screen. It was Andie. I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach because I already knew it was not going to be good news. I sighed and swiped the answer key.

"Hello"

"Aunt Shanique Exotic is in the hospital and they are keeping her for a few days." Andie said in a tear filled voice.

I clutched my chest because I could feel that something was wrong.

"What happened Andie?" I asked.

"Auntie it is a long story. There is so much that has happened to Exotic since she has been here. What recently happened  tho' is someone vandalized her dance studio and left her a nasty, disrespectful message."

"Oh my God Andie! I am going to book a flight and be there first thing in the morning. Just don't let her know I am coming. Oh and Andie there are a lot of hidden secrets that you and Sharee don't know, but I will have to tell you about them later." I said pacing my kitchen deep in thought.

"Auntie they are afraid that she might hurt herself. Do you think Exotic would actually do that?"

I sighed because at this point it was possible. I don't think she can take anymore without her having a severe melt down.

"Andie right now I will say it is possible. I will have to explain it all when I get there." I said saying my goodbyes and logged on to my computer to book a flight. Lord please help my niece.

Andie

I hung up the phone and stared at Sharee with a blank look on my face.

"Andie what's wrong?"

I just shook my head as tears fell from my eyes. I didn't realize the severity of things until talking to Aunt Shanique. This is scary and I don't know what to do or what to feel. I mean she seems so normal on the outside, but on the inside she is all messed up.

"Andie! What is it? You are scaring me!" Sharee said looking at me intently.

"Sharee it's about Exotic. She really needs help." I said staring at Sharee as if she wasn't there.

"Andie what the hell are you talking about?"

"Auntie said that there are things that she needs to tell us about Exotic and whatever it is has to be bad." I said wiping tears from my eyes.

"Sharee there is a possibility that she might try and committ sucicde. All this shit keeps happening to her and she might not be able to deal with anything else. It will be too much." I said twisting my hands nervously in my lap.

I looked at Sharee and tears rolled down her pretty face. Exotic was our sister and it hurt us both knowing that she was battling demons that she chose not to talk about. Now I can see how she could wind up actually killing someone because she feels like she has nothing to lose because she has lost so much already.

We sat there and cried tears of hurt, sorrow and pain. Exotic needs us now more than ever. I just hope that we can offer her the support that she needs until then I guess I just gotta wait for those hidden secrets.....

This will give you a little insight as to why Exotic is the way she is. She has mentally blocked out things that happened in her past. She uses anger to cover up for how she is really feeling. She really needs to start back her therapy sessions, but she feels that she will be fine without them.

Oh and Sharla's big secret is coming soon!