Chapter 17: Am I Missing Something Here?

"What?" I said groggily into my phone. 

"GET YOUR FAT ASS OUT OF BED," she said in her sing-song voice.

"Why?" I asked, rolling over, smashing my face into the pillow.

"It's 12:30! Nathan will be at your place soon," she said sharply.

"Oh shit," I said, shooting up in bed.

I stumbled over to the bathroom to brush my teeth and shower. I also shaved my legs and used Vanilla and Cinamon shower gel with some body butter. I needed to look my best if the plan was to work.

"Jen," I panicked through the phone again, "I don't know what to wear!" 

"That purple skater skirt!" she suggested. 

I breathed out a quick thanks and searched through my closet for the skirt. I put that on, along with a white, frilly long crop top that showed just a slither of skin. I let my hair out into its natural waves and topped it off with a peach colored beanie. Lastly, I applied just a tad bit of makeup.

After slipping on some black flats, I looked into the mirror. 

I had to admit, I looked pretty cute. I feel really shitty for even trying to make Lou jealous in the first place. But maybe our marriage will actually work out.

Only one hour until Nathan came.

I grabbed my crossbody bag and skipped downstairs, in a good mood.

Louis and Zayn were sitting in the living room, playing FIFA on the couch.

"Morning Zayn!" I smiled widely. "Louis," I looked at him.

Louis glared back and turned to his game.

"Hey Val," Zayn smiles back, "you're kinda...peppy this morning."

I giggle and titled my head towards their game. Unfortunately, Louis was winning.

Skipping into the kitchen, I saw Marge making lunch. "Good morning, Miss! You've overslept," she says, raising an eyebrow. "Marge!" I greet, hugging her.

"You're in a good mood Miss!" she laughs.

"Is there any breakfast left? Sorry," I drag on.

She places some leftover english muffins and scrambled eggs on a plate and heats them up.

"You look beautiful darling. Going out somewhere?"

"Oh yes," I gush, grabbing a carton of cold orange juice and pouring myself a glass. "I have plans with a friend today."

 I finish up my brunch, and hear the gates open, as if on que. I quickly run into the living room and signal to the doorman. "Let him in, George."

Louis pauses the match puts his gaming console down. "Who's that?"

I ignore him and watch Nathan's mustang pull up in front of the manor. He gets out and walks up, hands in his pockets.

He looks really handsome, well he is Nathan Sykes. I wave and plaster on a cutesy face smile.

Nathan jogs inside and I run into his arms. He slightly lifts me up and we hug for a few seconds. I can see Louis clenching his jaw out of the corner of my eye.

"Nathan," I breathe excitedly. 

"Val," he grins, "good to finally see you."

"Nathan Sykes?" Zayn steps up, "I didn't know you know Valerie."

"Zayn Malik," he introdcues himself, "nice to meet you." They shake hands.

Marge walks into the room and is quite surprised to see him. "Nathan dear!" 

"Marge!" he rushes over and gives her a quick hug. Louis stands staring at him from the couch.

"Good to see you dear," she pats him on the back, "you all sit down and have a chat. I'll be back with snacks."

"Actually, we were just heading out," I say quickly. 

"How is it that you all know him?" Louis asks finally, "am I missing something here?"

"Oh sorry mate," Nathan says, "I'm Nathan. And you are?"

"Pleasure," Louis sneers, "I'm Louis. Val's fiance."

Louis stares at me, burning a hole through my head. I finally look back at him. "Nathan's my ex-boyfriend," I explain.

Louis's eyes widen and he narrows them at me again. "Valerie. Your mother said we're going shopping today. For publicity. You can't go out."

"Oh sorry," I said innocently, "we really want to catch up. But maybe later." I slip my arm around Nathan's waist.

"You can't. Your mother says--" 

"Well, Louis. Maybe you can go shopping with Eleanor or someone." I spit out.

He looks frustratedly at me and opens his mouth to say something again but I cut him off. 

"Come on, Nat. Let's go," I tug on his arm and bite my lip flirtaciously. 

"Nice meeting you guys," Nathan says to everyone, and follows me out. We walk out to his car, and he opens the door for me. I giggle and get in, thanking him.

We're driving off, and the last thing I see is Louis's angry face through the window, slamming his hand down on the glass.