Chapter 4: Give Her A Chance

Val's POV

I wake up to the angelic sound of my mother yelling at me.

"Good for nothing.....useless.........irresponsible........." And her voice continues on and on outside my room, but thankfully, the luke-warm water of my shower drowns her out. 

Soothing steam rises around me and for ten short minutes, I escape reality.

After hopping out of the shower and untangling my hair, I wrap myself in a towel and start getting ready for the day.

Apparently, Louis is supposed to introduce me to the other 4/5 of One Direction.

I'm actually really excited to meet them, because their music isn't all that bad and I've seen pictures before . And believe me when I tell you that they're cute! 

I straightened my hair until every last wave was smooth, and pinned back a few thin strands with a white barette. 

I changed into a black and baby blue spaghetti strap dress with narrow cuts near the waist area.

Then, I applied some foundation, light pink blush, mascara, and faint lipstick.

Ok, don't blame me if I want to make a good impression on the boys.

Once I was completely ready, I skipped downstairs and into the kitchens. Dominic, our personal chef, had prepared blueberry pancakes and hashbrowns.

I could smell the heavenly aroma of the perfectly crisp pancakes.

"Ah, you're finally ready. I thought you'd never wake up," my mother says, frowning. 

Louis and his mum walk into the kitchen, and he starts snickering.

"Morning Valerie," Jay greets me.

I faintly smile at her, still wondering why Louis is laughing at me.

Jay and my mother seat themselves side by side, while Dominic carries out a large silver tray of pancakes and fresh fruit.

"Why're you laughing?" I ask Louis, who is still standing next to me.

"No reason," he says, smirking.

"Tell me," I press on.

"It's just that, your face, it's ridiculous," he says, snapping at me.

I turn away from him and sit down across from Jay and my mum. Dominic serves me, when my mother starts talking.

"Louis, Valerie, we would like to share this week's agenda with you both," mum begins.

Louis sits down next to me, and steps on my foot on purpose.

I ignore him.

"The boys will be arriving at the manor in precisely two hours, and they will be joining us for lunch," Louis's mother continues.

"This evening, you will make your first public appearance together at The Fiesta Bar in downtown Beverly Hills. Just catch up and get to know eachother better," Jay says, smiling.

Louis scoffs and looks at me like I'm a piece of scum stuck to the bottom of his designer shoe. What a pretty boy.

"Tomorrow evening, Louis," Jay says looking at him, "you will propose to Valerie at Simon Cowell's party, in celebration of the North America tour."

 "WHAT!?" we yell at the same time.

"Management wants you two to announce your relationship to the public tomorrow. Louis, make sure to tell everyone that you two were secretly dating for two years and that you've finally decided to make it official."

Louis shoots me a glare equal to a hundred daggers, and pushes his chair back roughly to get up. 

He storms out of the dining hall and up the stairs. His mother and mine look quite appalled at his reaction, their mouths hanging wide open. 

I just roll my eyes and go back to scarfing down my pancakes.

Louis's POV

I can't take this anymore. 

I angrily stand up and shoot a dirty look at Val. I stalk off upstairs, feeling the urge to punch someone in the face.

Once in my room, I slam the door shut, and the ornate crystal lights on the ceiling shake. 

I pick up my cellphone and dial in the numbers, my fingers shaking nervously.

Ring ring. Ring ring.

"Hello?" I hear a soft voice on the other end of the line

"Eleanor," I breath out.

"Lou!" she giggles, "I was waiting for your call."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"That's okay babe. How's Beverly Hills?" 

"Shitty."

She noticed the disappointment in my voice. "What's wrong?" 

"Eleanor, I don't know how to tell you this."

"Louis, you're scaring me," she laughs nervously.

"I swear, if I could change things I would."

"What is it?" She sounds desperate now.

"Please don't be mad."

"Louis, you can tell me anything. You know that," she says calmly.

"Ildnkfh faofg afipwf," I stutter out quickly.

"What?" she asks, puzzled.

"I'm....getting..... married."

She says nothing for a minute, which was probably the longest minute of my life.

"Management. I can't do anything love," I say desperately, almost crying.

"Oh," she says, barely audible.

"I'm so sorry," I say.

"Who is it?" she asks, and I know she's crying.

"An old classmate from High School," I say, not sure how to console her.

"Louis, you know what this means."

I stay quiet, the anger building up inside of me.

"We have to break up," she says shakily.

"But El, I love you."

"I love you too. But give her a chance Louis," she says.

"But--"

"Louis, please. For me."

"Okay," I say, clenching my teeth.

"I'll talk to you later, Lou. Bye," she says, cutting the phone. 

I can't seem to accept the fact that she just gave up on us so easily. She didn't even yell at me, and honestly, this is eating me up on the inside. 

I f*cking hate you, Valerie Matthews.