Simply Meant to Be: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After about two months, Elise & Luke had continued to go out, and were soon dating. I third-wheeled a lot, but it didn't feel awkward, for anyone. Luke really liked her since he would always talk about her without trying to flaunt his relationship in my face. Soon, Elise talked to me about breaking up with him, and later on, she did just that.

"I'm sorry, Luke." I said as he lay still in his boxers on his bed.

"It's stupid. I was with her for two months but I really liked her." He sighed.

"It's not stupid to like someone. If it was meant to be, it would have lasted. Elise is sweet and all, but she's just a girl." I comforted.

"Yeah, you're right. Sorry for bumming you out." He smiled.

"Nah, it's okay." I said. "But the fact that you're still in your underwear bums me out."

He grinned, and got up. Luke pulled on some clothes, and presented himself. His hair was still a mess, so he put on a baseball cap backwards.

"Ta-da." He said, somewhat excitedly.

"I'm hungry, let's get something to eat."

--

I waited for Luke to finish his hamburger. He ate so cutely, like he was still a little kid. I wanted to kiss the crumbs off his face. Also, I wanted to punch myself in the face as soon as those thoughts came into my head.

"You know, I think that other girl, Kate, is cool. We talk in English, and I'm thinking of asking her out." Luke said with his mouthful.

"She won't even look at you if you display these manners to her." I grimaced. He chuckled.

"Sorry." He swallowed.

"How can you move on so quickly?" I said.

"I don't know. I've always kind of thought she was cool, why not act on it now that I'm single again." Luke ran his hands through his hair.

"She's like my best friend, you know." I said.

"What about me?" He frowned.

"Of course after you." I laughed.

"Well, you can talk to her for me." Luke smiled, his cute, cute smile. "Otherwise I'd just be dating my hand and that's sad."

"Ew, does that mean you had sex with Elise?" I asked.

"Nah. She just let me feel her up and she gave me a few boners." Luke shrugged.

"If I talk to Kate, will you stop talking?" I said. He grinned.

--

"Kate!" I pushed through kids in the hall to catch up with her.

"Oh, hey, Emmett!" Kate said.

"So, listen, that one kid Luke kind of likes you. Think you'd be interested?" I said.

"Hm, we have been talking a lot lately, and if it wasn't for Elise I'm sure he would have done it before. Why not?" She said.

"Oh, okay. I'll tell him I guess. I'll see you." I waved.

I liked Luke. I did. So setting him up with all these girls didn't add up in my head. I was confused, but I did it anyway.

--

"So, she said okay." I said. Luke grinned.

"Sweet. You're the best, man." Luke got up from his chair, and hugged me tightly. I was shocked, but it was perhaps the best hug I've ever gotten. "Thanks for being there for me. Thanks for everything, just, thanks."